Chapter 9

"What?" Yachi shouted at Daichi, making him wince slightly. Yachi was usually a very worried person and got surprised easily, so this didn't surprise him. "Oh, sorry."

"It's fine," Daichi reassured the younger girl. Yachi was one of his really close friends. She was someone he hung out with a lot, which caused suspicion with his parents, but it's not like that at all. "I thought that was what your reaction was going to be."

"Of course it's going to be like that when you tell me you're friends with an elf!" Yachi whispers. She didn't exactly hate elves, she was just told many stories that made her afraid of them. Daichi chuckled. "And that you've been seeing him everyday!"

"Yeah, that's probably a lot to take in," he said, looking up at the clouds. "I'm meeting his friends soon, too."

"More elves! He might be trying to jump you!" Yachi exclaimed quietly. She was always one to overthink.

"He won't, Sugawara is kind, plus, I'm bringing some of the other guys from my hunting class with me," Daichi explained. "When I told them about his friends they wanted to meet them."

"Okay, that's good," Yachi said, relieved that her friend wouldn't be torn to shreds. "What is he like?"

"Oh, Sugawara's is amazing, he's a water elf so he shows me a lot of cool tricks when I'm there," Daichi said excitedly. He always liked talking about Sugawara. "He's just so much... different from people I know. He understands things about me that even I didn't understand. He makes me feel worthy, you know?"

"Do you have feelings for him?" Yachi asked suddenly. Daichi froze. How did she figure it out so quickly? This is the first time he's told her about Sugawara. "Oh, sorry! You just talk about him with such fondness that I thought that was the case!"

"No, you're right, I do," he muttered. Yachi took and deep breath and smiled.

"It's fine if you do, you can like anyone you want," she pointed out. Daichi knew this. He knew he had the right to love anyone he wanted, but Sugawara was an elf. Elves are supposed to be hated by humans.

"It's not fine when your father is a hunter," he whispered. Maybe he should just give on this. He has a test coming up, and if he passes, he won't have any time for Sugawara or his own time.

"It will be in the future." Yachi put a comforting hand on his shoulder. "So, when are you meeting his friends?"

"Sometime tomorrow I think," Daichi said, thankful for the change of topic. Yachi smiled.

"Could I come? You make Sugawara sound really nice, so why not?" she asked. Daichi grinned and nodded.
_________

"Remember, be nice to his friends," Daichi warned the others. He had asked Sugawara permission the other day if he could bring his friends along and he said he was okay with it so here they are. "Sugawara was nice enough to let you guys come along and he trusts you, so don't be rude!"

"Okay," the four said. Daichi nodded and led them the rest of the way to the spot. There was a loud thump, making Daichi jump. Laughing followed suit.

"Nishinoya, are you okay?" a worried voice said. Daichi entered the spot to see Sugawara and a few other elves.

Daichi guessed that the spiky haired boy was Nishinoya since he fit Sugawara's description exactly. A bigger guy was sat by him worriedly. An orange haired boy sat with a taller boy, a flower crown being woven into his hair by magic. And then there was Sugawara. He was sitting with a girl, laughing as he watched the other boys rough house.

He was taken aback by someone tackling him. "Who are you and why are you here?" the boy shouted. Daichi winced and immediately came to the conclusion that this was Tanaka.