Chapter 1

The birds sang sweetly one morning as Sugawara lay in his bed. The house was slowly coming to life as he lay there, staring at his ceiling. After finally deciding to get out of bed, Sugawara went to the bathroom. His sliver hair was in disarray and his clothes were ruffled from sleep.

"Koshi! You don't have much time!" Sugawara's mom yelled up the stairs. He flinched and hurried to get into the shower to wash off the sleep. As the water hit his back, he felt himself relax.

Koshi Sugawara is a water blood elf, along with many other elves in the forest. His home belonged in the magical forest, Islingrich, home of many magical creatures.

Islingrich was ruled by Violet, the queen. Her husband had died hundreds of years back in the war, but refused to remarry and continued ruling over the lands herself with her adopted daughter Ichika. Her burning hatred for humans never eased over the years, though. There's rumors saying she'll start a new war to avenge her husbands death before hers.

On the other side of the boarder is the village of Aiki, which is where the humans lived. Along with the queen, the king and queen there also have a burning hatred for the magical forest.

Everyone was taught to hate the other, but Sugawara didn't understand why. It was three hundred years ago. Even though he didn't understand why, he still did all his homework on it.

"Koshi! Hurry up or you'll be late!" his mom yelled from the other side of the door. Sugawara jumped and hurried to wash the soap out of his hair.

Downstairs had the beautiful smell of fresh blueberry pancakes. He followed the smell to the kitchen and smiled at his mother. She smiled back and handed him a plate.

"You really need to hurry up in the morning," she said. Sugawara waved his hand dismissively and took a bite of the pancakes. "I mean it! Maybe I should put an alarming bud in your room."

"Please don't," Sugawara said instantly. Alarming buds worked the same as alarm clocks, just a lot louder. "You'd just end up throwing it out the window, too."

His mom shrugged and leaned against the counter. "Yeah, but at least it'd get you up."

Sugawara sighed as he finished up the last of his pancake. When finished, he grabbed his bag and hugged his mother goodbye before leaving the house. The wind whisked his silver hair around lightly and he smiled at the small wind blood elves playing around outside. They noticed him and waved. He returned it and continued walking.

It was a beautiful day, which also means a bad day. Hunters would come on good days. Hunters who would kill innocent creatures just for a trophy. That's the only thing Sugawara hated about them. The older ones were killers, and they teach the young the same thing.

"Sugawara!" he heard suddenly. To his right, Hinata, a young fire blood elf, was charging towards him. Sugawara smiled at him.

"Hey, Hinata, how was your morning?" he asked, adjusting his bag. Hinata caught his breath and looked up at him.

"It was good, until Nishinoya got himself stuff in a tree," he explained. Sugawara sighed and told Hinata to show him where. Hinata ran off and Sugawara has to sprint to keep up with him.

Surely enough, Nishinoya was sitting in a tree. He was laughing at Tanaka, who was failing to climb the tree to help his friend. Sugawara stared at him confused.

"How did you get up there, exactly?" he said, getting the attention of the two boys. Tanaka smirked and crossed his arms.

"This guy decided to climb this tree for a dare!" he said, barely able to control his laughter.