Keep Breathing ; Chapter 16

The faint sound of calm footsteps made the corner of Karlie's lips turn slightly upwards. When she turned around, a broad grin took over her face at the adorable sight of a sleepy Taylor, standing slouched on the threshold of the kitchen.

"Good morning," Karlie announced softly, watching the baker rub the sleep from her still half closed eyes. She looked incredibly beautiful, illuminated by the first timid rays of light of the early morning that seeped through the curtains. Karlie swallowed thickly, when fully taking in her appearance; apart from her messy blonde hair and the slight pout on her lips, the woman was sporting only a large white tee shirt — with probably nothing underneath — and lace panties, which left her long and smooth legs uncovered and on full display.

"Morning," Taylor mumbled, approaching her from behind and lazily wrapping her arms around her waist. She placed her chin on her shoulder and softly kissed Karlie's neck.

The veterinarian shivered, feeling Taylor's whole front press tightly against her clothed back. "Did you sleep well?"

"Hm," Taylor hummed happily, brushing her nose against her jaw. She paused, "Are you making us breakfast?" she asked, incredulously.

Karlie immediately blushed, as she flipped the pancake on the frying pan. "Yep," she chuckled quietly. "Is that okay?" she asked sheepishly.

"Oh, that is more than okay," Taylor laughed softly. "I'm hungry,"

"Well, it's almost ready, babe,"

They stayed wrapped in each other's arms, as Karlie finished preparing them breakfast. When she turned off the stove, Taylor was obliged to detach her body from hers, and begrudgingly sat down on one of the stools around the kitchen island. Karlie plated the pancakes on two dishes, placed them on the granite surface and then poured some maple syrup on them. When she took a seat beside Taylor, she felt her gaze burn on the side of her face, and then quickly turned around to face her. Her girlfriend was staring at her with unreadable eyes, but the small smile playing on her lips was an indicator that she was incredibly pleased with what Karlie had just done.

Taylor then leaned in quickly, and eagerly kissed her. The veterinarian cupped her chin with her thumb and index finger, matching the hurried movement of her lips.

"Thank you," Taylor whispered when they pulled away.

"Let's eat. We don't want them to get cold, do we?"

The baker giggled, before shamelessly shoving half of the pancake inside her mouth. Karlie stifled a chuckle, watching as her girlfriend almost choked as she began to laugh at her own silliness. They made lighthearted small talk, and while normal people would have finished in fifteen minutes, their breakfast lasted more than half an hour. When Karlie stood up, Taylor swirled in her stool and stared at her girlfriend as she put the empty and dirty dishes on the sink. She washed them quickly, before drying her hands with the worn out rag and turning around to face the baker.

Taylor smiled up at her with a mischievous twinkle in her sapphire eyes, as the veterinarian stood between her dangling legs. Taylor wrapped her arms around her waist and pulled her slightly closer.

"I wanted to thank you for...last night," the baker whispered in the quiet of the morning. Karlie gulped, and tried to hide her blush as she looked out the window. She placed her own hands on Taylor's shoulder, and pushed the fabric of her shirt to the side, rubbing her thumbs against hot and bare skin.

"You don't have to thank me," Karlie replied, sounding flustered.

"Well, I mean, that was..." Taylor trailed off, her fingers sneaking under Karlie's own long sleeved shirt. The ghost of her touch left a tingling feeling along her back, and the veterinarian bit the inside of her cheek so as to prevent a gasp from coming out of her lips. "...intense and fucking amazing, but...what about you?"