35: Done Some Things We Shouldn't Do

A/N: I realised I fucked up the weather bc Australia is in the Southern Hemisphere, oh well

[Taylor.]

The silence that fell between Calum and I was thick, constricting our words to our chests. His mouth opened and closed like a fish out of water while I just blinked, trying to make sense of the situation.

I finally settled with, "Care to explain?"

"I- I- Please don't tell Luke," he pleaded, clambering off his bed and walking towards me. "Please. I just- I needed to know. Don't tell me the suspense wasn't killing you either."

I bit my lip, sighing. "Okay, I guess it was, too. But Cal, you can't do these type of things. Think through things sometimes... It could've easily been Luke opening this door and not me."

"I know, I know, but please. Don't- I can't risk- I don't want him to find out."

I eyed him up and down. He seemed so desperate: his eyes were wide and pleading, his hands clamped together. "Fine, yeah. I won't tell him. But you need to put that away right now, because Luke is going to be home very soon."

"Okay, yes, I will," he breathed out. "Thanks, Tay."

He hugged me tightly, but I just sighed, shaking my head. "Calum, I- I won't tell Luke for your sake, and the sake of everyone else in this house, but that doesn't mean I agree with what you did. You really should have waited for Luke to open it himself."

"I know," he sighed in defeat. "It's just that-"

"I know you were curious," I interrupted, not finished with what I had to say. "I know. But you can't- You're dating Luke. It's more than just a simple friendship. I know how much Luke means to you, and god, do you mean a lot to Luke. Which is precisely why you need to be careful. You guys... I don't know. You live in the same house, you're both head over heels for each other. There's a lot at stake. Yeah, this is just a box, but you've really got to think through things. Today it's a box, tomorrow it's something you said on the spur of the moment. Just... Please. I don't want to see your relationship deteriorate because you - or either of you - did something in the spur of the moment, knowing fully well that the other is not on board with it."

He hung his head in shame, and I was glad to notice that my words had affected him. I didn't want to be mean; I didn't want to see either of them upset or mad at each other. Imagine that! Living with two pissy teenage boys. I would go mad, probably.

This time, I hugged him. "Hey, it's fine. He's not going to find out, unless we tell him. Just wrap that box up tightly and we'll be fine. Just think a bit next time."

"I will," he nodded, before turning around and hurrying back to his bed.

With a head shake, I turned and walked into my bedroom. Well, mine and Luke's.

It was still so novel, having Luke living with us. I loved it, to be quite honest. I mean, who wouldn't love living with their best friend? Sure, we had petty arguments every once in a while, but that was inevitable. We got over them quickly anyways.

I was sick of being cooped up in the house, so I decided to get dressed and go out for a walk.

I told Calum I was leaving, and stepped out of the house. It was pleasant outside, and I smiled, slipping my headphones on and shoving my hands in my pockets as I started walking down to the stores. I didn't have anywhere else to go, so I thought I'd stop by and say hi to Luke before heading to the park, and then maybe I'd call Michael.

Michael and I weren't dating again. We were just... Just friends, I guess. I still liked him very much, but I- I don't know. I was scared. He was probably over it anyways, he probably had another girl on his radar. I don't blame him. I was the one who ended it, and yeah, I did regret it, but I was way too proud to admit it. At least we were friends.