39

"Florence!" Abigail shook me gently from my sleep. "Sadie and Dutch, they're in Saint Denis at the saloon. They asked me to tell you and Arthur to meet them there."

"Alright, Abigail. Thanks." I yawned and she smiled as she walked away. I turned over to face Arthur and gave him a kiss on the nose. "Wake up. We got work to do."

"We always got work to do." He sighed as he sat up.

"Dutch and Sadie want us to meet them in Saint Denis."

"What is it now?"

"I don't know. Abigail didn't say anything else."

He stood and stretched, a loud yarn escaping from his lips. "Alright then. Let's go."

~

We entered the saloon and found them both leaned against the bar.

"Mrs. Adler-" Dutch spoke calmly.

"Don't you worry about me!" Sadie snapped.

"Ah, there you are." Dutch looked us over.

"Here we are." Arthur's voice was still rumbling with wishes of sleep.

"Come on, let's go."

"Let's go where? And why are you so riled up?"

"Today is a great day, Arthur. Today is the day they are gonna hang Colm O'Driscoll."

"That so?"

Sadie burped. "Either they hang him or I shoot him."

"Oh they are gonna hang him." Dutch growled as he picked up two packages and walked towards the back of the saloon.

"Yeah, and not before time." Sadie smiled.

"That boy's been on the gallows more than most. I wouldn't count anything until his neck's broke." Arthur followed Dutch.

Dutch gave the packages to Sadie. "Nor would I. Which is why, despite us bein' wanted men," He pushed Sadie into the room and closed the door. "we're gonna attend the event ourselves."

"And follow him onto the scaffold?"

"Well, let's hope not. But if I can see that son of a bitch breathe his last, I think I'd die a happy man. We are gonna disguise ourselves." Dutch pulled out an officer's hat and handed it to Arthur.

"In this?" Arthur looked at the hat.

"In this." Dutch held out the accompanying officer's jacket.

"Florence, Mrs. Adler's got some clothes in there for you as well." Dutch pulled open the door and shoved me inside.

"Here." One of the paper wrapped dresses was thrust into my hand as soon as the door closed. "Hurry up." Sadie demanded as she pulled her dress into place.

I opened the paper and got myself into the deep blue dress. I couldn't wrap my brain around the situation. It seemed so surreal. Colm O'Driscoll was finally going to hang. My hands shook with excitement as I did up the buttons of the dress and placed the hat I'd been given on top of my head.

"You're all crooked in the back." Sadie made note as she turned me and fixed the dress. "I know you're lookin' forward to this as much as I am."

I nodded and when she was done, we left the small room to find Arthur and Dutch already dressed and waiting.

"Ladies." Dutch led the way to the back door and walked out first with Arthur behind him.

"Okay." Sadie sighed as she stepped onto the street.