1

My heart pounded as I approached Horseshoe Overlook. I could barely see the flickering lights of a fire between the trees.

"Who's there?" A rough rumbling voice called out as I came closer. A rifle was pointed in my direction, the full moon gleaming off the barrel. 

"Hi John." I spoke timidly.

"Florence?" The gun lowered. "Holy shit." He stomped through the grass, wrapping me in a warm hug that felt like home. "Where did you go? We all thought you might be dead." He held me at arm's length as he looked me over.

Suddenly I felt overdressed for the occasion. He stood in a casual pair of jeans and white button down while I was head to toe in the finest dress Blackwater had to offer, complete with corset and bustle. 

"That's a long story."

"Well you look... God, you look great."

"You don't look half bad yourself." I laughed. "Seems the years have been kind to you." I looked his face over. "Kinder than whatever animal did that." I gently tapped the scars running across his face.

"Now that is a long story." He laughed. "Why'd you stay gone so long?"

"I had my reasons, John. Mostly I was afraid y'all wouldn't have me back."

"Hey, nobody's sore about you leavin'. Except maybe Arthur, but he'll get over it now that you're back."

"That's unfortunate, since he's the one I'm here to see." I pressed my thumb and forefinger to the bridge of my nose, pinching lightly. "Is he in?"

"Not right now, Him and Hosea are takin' care of some business over at Emerald Ranch. Should be back in a bit though. Why don't you go say hi to everyone. I'm sure they'll all be glad to see you. Abigail's up by the horses."

I nodded.

"God, it's good seein' you again." He smiled and hugged me once more before letting me go on my way.

"You too Marston." I smiled as I walked past him and on towards camp.

Abigail came into sight. She was leaned against the hitching post watching an energetic child run around.

"Watch me mama, I can jump high!" The boy laughed as he launched himself barely three inches from the ground. He couldn't have been more than four years old, meaning that Abigail was probably pregnant when I left. A sudden wave of guilt washed through me. She was my best friend in the camp because our stories were so similar and I just left her to go through that without someone by her side.

"Look at you, like a little grasshopper." Abigail giggled.

"Abigail." I called to her. 

She turned around and when she laid eyes on me a shocked smile sprung to her lips.

"Flo? Oh!" She jumped up and ran to me, crushing me to her with a hug. "Oh, where have you been?" She scolded in a calm sweet voice. "I can't believe you're alive."

"I missed you too, Abigail." I laughed and hugged her just as tight.

I looked down to find the child cowering behind her.

"Who's this?" I bent down so I could get close to his height.

"This is Jack. My son." She ran her hand over the boy's dark hair and when he looked at me, I saw John, plain as day in his face.

"He's John's?" I looked to her and she nodded. "I can tell. I see a lot of him in those eyes." I held my hand out to the boy. "Hello Jack. I'm Florence. I'm an old friend of your mom and dad."