Chapter Eight: Ron Eats Slugs.

"You can't miss the defense against the dark arts lessons-"

"You can't tell me what to do."

"You have to respect him! He's a teacher!" Hermione whispered angrily.

Ron sat down in front of them and said Harry was at Quidditch practice.

"Maybe we can still catch him," Ron offered, "once I'm done with breakfast..."

While she waited, she finally decided to open her mother's letter.

She'd been way too nervous the whole week to open it, afraid of what might be inside.

'Mel Dumbledore.

I can't even imagine why would you do such a thing on your very first day. I'm speechless. Mr Weasley car? I don't understand why you thought that was a good idea. 

Maybe you were just following Ron and Harry's lead, which I must say, is a little disappointing.'

Mel didn't want to keep reading, but she figured it was better to get it over with.

'-You should never base your actions on what other people expect you to do, Mel. Not even if that person is one of your closest friends. How do you expect to become your own whole witch if you keep following other people's tails?

I'm not angry, I'm sad that you didn't trust your own instinct -let's be honest, I know for sure that whole adventure wasn't your idea- please, next time you're in trouble, take a deep breath and do what's best for you, and not what others would prefer you to do.

Be good. I'll wait for your reply, 

Mum.'

"I'm a failure," Mel pouted.

"How come?" Hermione looked up.

"My mum says she's disappointed because I went along with Ron's idea instead if insisting on staying."

"How does she know it wasn't your idea?" Ron frowned.

"She's my mum," Mel replied sternly, "besides, I suppose Dumbledore explained the whole thing to her."

"At least you learned the lesson and you weren't expelled," Hermione shrugged, "but see, this is what I mean, you can't just abandon your studies, Mel. You have a second chance."

"I really think you're wrong," Mel sighed, "but I don't dare to hurt my mum more than I already did..."

________________________________

The toasts were cold by the time Harry went out to the field, he saw them on the bench and approached with a weary expression.

"Aren't you finished yet?" asked Ron.

"Haven't even started," said Harry, his eyes flicked to the toasts Hermione and Ron were eating, "Wood's been teaching us new moves." 

"Take one," Mel said lovingly, offering the toasts, "you can't play with an empty stomach, remember?"

Harry blushed, lightly mumbling a 'thank you', and devouring it.

As he mounted on his broom and flew around with Fred and George, Colin Creevey started to take pictures.

"Look this way, Harry! This way!" 

"You know, say what you want about Ginny," Mel mentioned as she watched the younger boy, "but at least she doesn't follow Harry around with a camera..."

"I still don't understand why she's so shy around him," Ron frowned, "it's so weird"

"She likes him," Mel shrugged, "people act oddly around the person they like, right?"