twenty two

Surprisingly, we didn't get caught. We didn't even come close. I woke David up thirty minutes before I knew Ben would get up and sent him downstairs with a kiss to the forehead. Ben drove him home and mentioned nothing of it. We left to meet my grandparents an hour later.

I'll save you most of the boring details of our weekend. We walked around for countless hours in a mildly interesting city and ate some really good food. Our hotel had extremely comfy beds, and David sent me cute snapchats of him frowning and alone every night, saying he missed me.

It was a nice, calming weekend, but I was ready to be home... especially when my grandma brought up my "glow" at the dinner table.

"I see you have a boyfriend, my little Nilla wafer," she used her old nickname for me. It wasn't so much what she said, it was how she said it. She was completely certain, and that scared the daylights out of me. How did she know? How could she possibly know?

"Um... what?" I awkwardly laughed, hoping to tame my blushing cheeks with some deep breaths.

"She's got a glow about her, doesn't she, Doug?" she nudged my grandpa, who wasn't paying attention and probably couldn't hear over the sounds of the patrons in the sports bar anyways. "You seem so different."

"I don't have a boyfriend."

"Honey just barely has a friend. No way she has a boyfriend," Ben laughed, but stopped when I smacked him hard on the back of the head. His tiny little brain was probably rolling around in his skull, but I didn't care.

"I could have a boyfriend if I wanted one!" I argued, not wanting to give myself away. "Why don't you ask Ben about his girlfriend Liza? She's his best friend's ex girlfriend."

"And how is that your business?" Ben glared at me, and I smirked triumphantly, glad to have gotten under his skin for once instead of the other way around.

"You've had sex, Honey. I can just tell."

I think the whole table took in a collective, what-the-fuck gasp at that one. My grandma had always been quite the free spirited individual, but I never expected that. She wasn't even right, but she was just close enough to being right to have me actually worried.

"Mother," my mom snapped at her, her face turning dead serious. "We are in public. And you're talking about my daughter, so be careful what you say."

"It's not a bad thing!" she seemed genuinely confused why my mom was mad. "It's completely natural. She looks different. Don't tell me you don't notice?"

Luckily, Mom didn't scrutinize me too much. She just said, "I don't," and cut the conversation short.

When we were leaving the restaurant, which happened to be the last place we would see them on this trip, my grandma hugged me tightly and said, "So what's his name?"

I gave her a look, and she smiled encouragingly, waving her hand with a laugh, "Oh... like I'd tell her about your love life. She couldn't handle it."

She had a point.

"David," I told her quietly, my eyes on Ben. He was being distracted by my grandpa who was once again talking about his extensive gun collection a little too loudly. "His name's David."

"And you're hiding him because...?"

"He's Ben's best friend," I explained. "And my best friend's older brother. My only friend's older brother."

"Oh, my Nilla," she wrapped me in another hug. "You've always been such a mess maker."

"What am I supposed to do?" I frowned. She was the first and only person I could tell, besides my diary. She was my only hope for advice.