Part 24 - Make A Choice

"Izuku?"

The little hero had his back flat against the grass. He hadn't moved since your victory. At first, he was overjoyed, you all were, but then he suddenly just malfunctioned and collapsed.

Tokoyami's sharp eyes closed as he sighed, "When he comes to, let him know I expressed my gratitude. To you as well."

"Sure. Thanks, Tokoyami," you nodded. The next and final round was about to be announced, and you knew Izuku would want to be awake for it. Well, he was sort of awake. He was just gazing at the sky like a vegetable.

"Izuku..." you crouched down and hugged your knees, "Deku?" You poked his stomach a few times. "HEY!"

"WHAT!" he flipped like a fish out of water, "Oh, h-hi! Uh, s-so we won, r-right? That's pretty neat! Haha! Ah..."

You frowned, "Izuku. Did I freak you out..?"

"What? I mean, sort of... but I'm not mad or anything!" He insisted.

You weren't convinced, "Do you feel okay? I didn't take too much?"

"No I don't think so," he said, his cheeks were flushed, "I just feel a little lightheaded and my heart rate is through the roof."

"Hm. Did I..." you were afraid to ask, because you already knew the answer, "I feel awful. I didn't know you hadn't kissed anyone before."

"Oh! Wait how did you know? ...Was it that obvious?"

"Uh, yeah, kinda?"

He sat up, "Okay, it was my first. B-but don't feel bad! You did it for our team..." He bowed his head a bit and he looked sad.

"It obviously isn't okay," your brow furrowed, "Lately, I've noticed you holding back on your quirk. I didn't think we had another option at the time... next time I'll try to give you a heads up or just not do it at all."

"That's not what I want!" Izuku suddenly grabbed your hand. He flinched at his own actions, but he was shaking. You waited to hear him out. "I just mean, if it had to be anyone borrowing my power, I'm glad it was you."

He was staring intently into your eyes. Those huge, innocent eyes pleaded for you to not feel guilty. Even as he sat there shaking like a scared puppy.

"I mean it," his grip tightened,  "It's hard to see you like this. Do you regret it?"

What is he asking, exactly? You did regret it because you felt like a crummy thief. Kissing was almost second nature for you because it had to be. Not for him, though...

"Midoriya. (Y/N)." Iida approached your sad, sitting session, "Congratulations on your win. I must say, I really thought we had you. However, I am glad that more of our class will be moving on to the finals."

"You guys did amazing, Iida. It was dumb luck that saved us," you said.

"I'd have to disagree. You two continue to surprise me, but as your president, I must request that you compose yourselves. We must bring dignity to our school and our class."

"Right!" You were both on your feet like little Iida-soldiers.

You noticed Izuku still hadn't let go of your hand. It gave you a weird feeling inside. You didn't think about him in the way you thought about Shinso. Or even Bakugo. He was your friend - a shy, sweet guy with a heart of gold.

But his hand enveloping yours confused your heart. You giggled to spare him from feeling any more awkward and pulled your hand away, "Oops, people might get the wrong idea, huh?"

"Oh! Y-yeah, that'd be weird..." he rubbed his fingers together.

You joined the others in front of Midnight. She was grinning at you and doing some sort of excited, wiggle dance, "You look hot out there, (Y/N)-baby!" Thank the good gods her microphone wasn't on yet. There were only 16 of you left in the last round, and something told you this was going to be harder than the other challenges combined.