Sickly and Skinny

Start from the beginning

"Take her into another room and make sure she isn't experiencing any symptoms," Nick's voice said from behind her.

Natasha turned around quickly and glared at him, "I'm fine." 

"That's an order," Fury added. 

Natasha wanted to argue but Clint appeared and pulled her into the room besides Steve's. 

"What the fuck are you doing?" She asked, slapping his hand away as the medics came up to her. 

"Making sure you don't kill someone or get yourself fired. Steve will be fine. Just let them check you out and you'll be able to see him." 

Natasha shook her head, "I'm fine. Steve's the one whose sick. They should be helping him, not making sure I'm alright." 

Clint rolled his eyes, "There are plenty of people helping Steve. So stop struggling before they have to sedate you." 

Natasha glared at him again, "I'll sit here for 15 minutes and then I'm going to see him." 

Clint sighed, "Fine." 

He stood up and moved so that the medics could check Natasha's vitals. 

Fifteen minutes later, Natasha pushed them out of her way and walked back towards Steve's room.

"Natasha!" Bruce called, walking out of Steve's hospital room.

"Is he okay?" Natasha asked. 

"Um, yeah. He's okay. But there's something you should know-"

"Is he awake?"

Bruce shook his head, "No, he's unconscious but he should wake up soon, but listen you should really-" 

Natasha pushed past him, "Whatever it is can wait." 

Bruce tried to argue but Natasha was already walking into the room. 

She looked at Steve and couldn't help the small gasp that escaped her lips. 

Steve was nearly a foot shorter, skinny, pale, and looked at though a strong gust of wind could blow him over. 

"We think whatever gas Steve inhaled was meant to stop his super serum."

Natasha frowned, walking towards the bed and taking Steve's hand in hers, "Is it permanent?" 

Bruce shook his head, "It's hard to tell but based on how little of it was found in his system and the fact that I was able to get a sample of the gas, we should be able to make an antidote that will reverse the effects if it doesn't wear off." 

"Does he know yet?" Natasha asked, trying to keep her voice steady.

Bruce sighed, "No. He slipped into unconsciousness and hasn't woken up since it happened."

Natasha nodded slightly, her fingers brushing over Steve's hand gently, "Okay."

"I'll leave you two alone. Just call if he needs something. Tony and I are going to start looking for an antidote." 

Natasha nodded, her eyes not leaving Steve's shut ones. 

Bruce left the room and Natasha couldn't help but brush some of Steve's hair from his suddenly thin face. 

He looked so different like this. 

Not in a bad way...Natasha didn't care how short or skinny Steve was as long as she could still tell that he was her Steve.

She sat there silently observing his chest rise and fall until his eyes fluttered open and landed on her.

"Nat?"