35. I would never abandon you

Start from the beginning

I realised that the little bitterness my parents had left behind was because they wanted me to come here and apologize to Akash. They never wanted to see me, they just wanted to patch things up with this nasty being. And like a fool, I believed them again.

When my parents did not respect me, how could I expect outsiders to behave nicely with me? If something was left to be broken in me, they broke it this time. How could they ask me to apologize to the man who tried to... I gulped even thinking about it.

"Reva di, I understand he is your husband but you are a woman first. You want me to apologize to him when you know what he did to me." I asked her, hoping she would at least show me a little sign that she cares.

"Stop saying that my husband did anything to you. He would never even look at a lowly thing like you. You consider yourself worthy enough that my husband would do anything to you." Reva yelled at me in an ugly sort of way as if her ego was hurt that I considered myself good enough. Her words were so filthy that I was ashamed to call her a sister. I was ignoring her arrogant behaviour towards me all this time but today for what she said, she lost all my respect.

"You don't even know what you are saying. You guys have lost every ounce of dignity in you. You disgust me. All of you. I hate that I am related to you in any way. You are a bunch of illiterate fools who can't look past the societal norms. I am disgusted by you." I yelled at them and angry tears made their way out of my eyes. My father came forward and struck me hard on my face.

I looked at him dumbfounded and too shocked to react. I felt so humiliated that I couldn't describe it in words. Without saying another word, I ran to my room and locked the door. My legs gave up beneath me and I fell on the floor, crying.

I don't know how much time had passed but after I realised my surroundings, I couldn't ask myself to stay there, so I immediately decided to call Ashish. I was so anxious to be there, I was frightened of what they might do to me. My hands were shivering as I dialled Ashish's number. Voices rang in my brain which I didn't want to hear. I didn't want to go back to my old self because I knew if I did, it would destroy me beyond repair. I desperately needed Ashish's presence with me.

"Missing me?" Hearing his voice, I started sniffling, a dam broke inside me and I busted out crying again.

"Ashish." I cried.

"Akshita? What happened?" His startled voice came from the other side but my voice had died down. I couldn't stop crying.

"Baby, stop crying. Tell me what's wrong." He asked me softly and from the noise behind him, I could understand that he was ready to come here.

"Take me from here," I said between my sobs.

"I am on my way, baby. Stop crying. Please."

"I need you. I need you with me," I whispered and I wasn't sure if he heard it or not but I hung up the call. I felt pathetic for crying like that but my tears wouldn't stop. I rubbed my eyes so many times but tears kept coming back.

It felt like an eternity had passed when I finally heard the noise of a car coming to our driveway. I unbolted my door and ran to the main gate without even wearing my footwear. My parents were awake and were talking to Akash and Reva when they saw me running outside. They stared at me wide-eyed as I ran outside.

************************************

Ashish

I lost all my senses when I heard her crying so badly. I wore my shoes hurriedly and went to retrieve my car keys. Mamma saw me and asked what had happened. I just mouthed "Akshita" to her and she nodded in understanding. Her face immediately fell and worry lined her features.