11. The poorly bride

Akshita

The makeup artists kept applying products on my hair and face for hours. I have heard that wedding makeup and styling takes a lot of time, now I have experienced it. It's very tiring. On top of that, my terrible health state was not helping either, my eyes were already drooping but I had to keep myself awake. It was my big day but my poor health was ruining it for me.

"Mam, your makeup is done. You look beautiful," Aditi said excitedly.

"Thank you," I said coughing. My voice was almost inaudible now. I decided to avoid speaking to stop myself from coughing. Aditi and Seema shared a concerned look.

"Uh, your dress has arrived. Should we help you in wearing it?" I shook my head at them and tiredly picked up my dress. They both went outside to wait until I changed my clothes in the room. My dress was gorgeous and I felt proud of myself for choosing it.

It comprised of a pale pink lehenga choli which was entirely covered with pink and green floral designs combined with a heavy net dupatta with floral borders

It comprised of a pale pink lehenga choli which was entirely covered with pink and green floral designs combined with a heavy net dupatta with floral borders. I wore the lehenga-choli and called Aditi and Seema back in the room so that they could add finishing touches to my look. They adjusted the dupatta on my head and draped it around my body, covering my chest and stomach.

Afterwards, they made me wear my jewellery which consisted of a nose ring, earrings, hairpiece, bangles and neckpiece. My jewellery was a heavy kundan set that had green stones to match my outfit. My whole look was coordinated with Ashish's. I looked at myself in the mirror and the corner of my lips lifted in a smile. I looked beautiful but more than that I felt beautiful. My makeup was simple but my dress and jewellery were quite heavy.

"You are the most beautiful bride, Akshita mam." I smiled as Aditi complimented me. I know they complement every bride they style. It's their work after all.

"Thank you for what you guys did. I truly feel beautiful." I thanked them smiling.

"Your smile makes you look beautiful not this makeup." I smiled more as I remembered Ashish said the same thing to me on our second meeting. They both started packing their makeup bags while I kept staring at myself in the mirror.

"Have a happy and beautiful married life. All the best." They both wished me before leaving. After they left, my mother came to the room along with my cousins and aunts.

"Wow, Akshita's lehenga is so beautiful. It looks designer and expensive too." One of my cousins said feeling the material in her hands.

"Yes, after all, her in-laws are extremely rich. They must have spent lakhs on this dress." My mother said smugly. They were all gushing about the dress. I was waiting for them to compliment me but it didn't come.

"It's late. We should leave for the hotel, Asha." My aunt said to my mother.

"Yes, yes. Let's leave. Reva, call someone to bring Akshita's bag." Reva di nodded and went outside. She was still cold towards me and that too without any reason. Two servants came and started picking my bags to deposit them in the car. I had six bags in total which consisted of some dresses, makeup tools, accessories and footwear which my mother purchased a few days ago for me.