~Chapter Twenty-Two~

Chapter Song

One Call Away – Charlie Puth

_______________✏

"WHAT DID YOU DO?!" Elena's frantic screams filled the room, it was a miracle no one in the apartment complex was banging on her door to investigate the commotion – although it was an area notorious for little to no income earners, crime filled the neighbourhood she could afford whilst being on the run.
"YOU-YOU k-killed-"

"SHUT UP!" Adriana snapped trying to come to terms herself with what had just occurred. Elena had hit a nerve, Luca, the person she had tried to find justice for all this time, Elena was also responsible for his death. It hurt. Far more than she could have ever imagined and in that moment, she wanted Elena to suffer.

"HE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING!"

"And neither did Luca!" Her response instant and cold.

Elena couldn't believe what she was hearing, who was this person before her? Where did the overly nice and annoyingly innocent girl go? This sure as hell wasn't her.
"You're going to an Italian prison you stupid fùck!" She continued to badger still in too much shock to advance towards the body. "Jesus Adriana..."

She listened to her voice in the background as she finally began to move again, she opened the bullet magazine whilst Elena wailed clearly no longer paying her any attention. She was fixated on the body, the scene before them. Too much had happened in such little time it was clear to her Elena was struggling to keep up with everything.
Placing the magazine in her backpack she called out snapping her attention back on her.
"Heads up!" She called, with a swift underarm throwing the unloaded gun towards her.

"What the-" Elena grasped the weapon in hand, her mouth agape, her fingers quickly finding the trigger automatically raising the weapon in front of her and towards Adriana but the look of confusion cast over her as she studied the lighter than usual piece, it was clearly missing its entire bullet canister.

"Put it down on the armrest." Adriana demanded almost emotionless, it had been a hard day. She motioned to the sofa waiting for her to comply which eventually, after inspecting the useless weapon, she did.
Slipping a gloved hand into her backpack she retrieved a plastic sleeve and made her way towards Elena keeping a watchful eye before scooping up the weapon and sealing it.
"I think you'll find you killed your boyfriend in a fit of rage, you know..." Adriana's voice trailed, raising an eyebrow meeting her confused gaze. "Because he left the baby all alone. That's what I think happened here!" She placed the weapon in her backpack.

"Wait! You listen here!" Elena demanded finally putting it all together and not wanting a bar of it.

"NO!" Adriana spat. "YOU listen here!" She was growing tired of the arguments. "Your prints are on the weapon, you live here and I just fùckìng bet you have left a long àss trail of acquaintances to discredit your character in this city. Tell me Elena..." She gleamed, "am I right?" She didn't wait nor did she care to hear her response. "Now take a damn seat and use a damn cable tie!"

Elena let out a long shaky breath. She didn't want to believe it, not a word of it, but the moment she touched the weapon she had sealed her own fate. Her legs carried her slowly towards the dining chairs, she needed time to think, consider her options, did she even have any options? Everything was becoming far too overwhelming as she slumped into a seat letting out a sob at the close proximity of her dead boyfriend whose body continued to ooze out with blood. "M-my little girl..." She mumbled out desperately.

"Cable tie. Now!" Adriana kicked the packaging towards her, the plastic smearing in some blood along the floor. She watched Elena tremble as she attempted to pick out a tie without touching the mess.