Chapter 14

Thayer had offered to guide them through the rest of the path that morning, he knew the way like the back of his hand by now. At first Banu wasn't happy, he was hoping they'd leave Thayer in the morning. He became even more annoyed when Elora refused to tell him what they were talking about when he awoke that morning. She vaguely mentioned the path and discussing what Thayer did most days, but Banu could see she was lying, why he wasn't sure.

They had started at a good pace that morning, Thayer led the way with all his weapons strapped to his body and bow and arrow over his shoulder. The weather had turned dark the further they walked, the mist became a light drizzle of rain. Elora kept wiping her eyes against the light rain, thankful for her heavy boots as she stepped through a large puddle. As she walked, she thought about Thayer's words earlier. Now she at least had something to go on when they got to Alzoh. It would probably be best to try and find a library first, there might be some information available there. She could also try talk to one of Banu's magic teachers, hopefully, they would know about transference magic.

The hours seemed to drag on as they travelled together. Every once and while Thayer would stop and point at something, explaining what it was. She had long stopped trying to remember all the names of the strange mythical creatures hidden in the path. Her life was so different then what she thought it would be. Just last week she had been getting excited about the end of season celebrations. In the prison the guards would lead everyone out into the dinning hall where the table were pushed together to form a small stage. There would be a few men playing the fiddles and drums, lots of traditional Northern folk songs were sung. The guards sat around watching the prisoners dance and drink till midnight. It was the only time music was played in the prison and it was Elora's favourite time there. She wondered what was happening back home, would they still have their celebrations and if Virion still thought about her. In an odd way she missed him, she had grown up with him watching her, acting as her protector and sometimes friend.

She watched Banu as he walked alongside her, did he have a close friend at home that he missed or perhaps a girl he loved. While she did wonder, she was too shy to ask such intimate questions. In the prison she often thought about what it would be like to kiss a boy or to even get married, to her this had always been an impossible dream. Now that she was out, she wondered if she would now have her chance. She blushed thinking about what it would be like to kiss Banu, to run her hands through his midnight hair. 

While Elora imagined her new life in the Southern Realm, Thayer had slowed down as he prepared for what was ahead. He had only escorted a few people through this path, each time it was different. He glanced at his two companions, the tall sour boy and the small trusting girl, he hoped they were strong enough. From experience he knew the path would descend steeply until they reached the bottom. Elora and Banu stopped walking when they caught up to him.

"What now?" Banu asked exasperated, always expecting the worse.

"This next part is the last stretch until the end of the path. I must warn you guys, especially you Elora, the magic here is strong and unpredictable. It may cause you to see or hear things, ignore them and keep moving. Banu keep your wards up. If you can."

"Of course I can." He replied annoyed that Thayer thought he wasn't strong enough.

With that, they descended the path.

The path dropped steeply until it became a staircase made from dark weathered stones. An eerie silence had settled around them, covering them like a thick blanket. The sun had become blocked by the heavy fog floating through the air. Elora kept her head down, watching her steps down the slippery staircase, not wanting to go tumbling down the bottom. Her heart had beaten furiously in her chest at the mystery of what could be waiting for them down below. Thayer, who led in front, was tense, his shoulders and neck stiffened. His one hand never moved from the knife strapped to his thigh. Banu brought up the rear, for once he was silent, she could feel the apprehension rolling off of him. With each step-down, her knees were jolted awake, reminding her to tread carefully.