CHAPTER 1

Today is July 6th 1957, the most important day of my life. I had been waiting for years for this day to come. Counting down the hours, the minutes. Finally though, I'm here. I'm at St. Peter's church watching the Quarrymen perform. My friend Ivan told me that he wanted me to meet a friend of his named John Lennon.

When he first said the name, my heart dropped. I saw this part of my future when I was only 7 years old. Everyday I would listen for his name, look for his face, and even knowing the day he would come into my life, I was still hopeful that it would come earlier.
I've seen far into the future. I've seen the release of our first album, our first trip to America, the making of our first movie, even the split of the band.

Though I'm hoping to be able to change the last one. Everything in between is fuzzy, and some parts completely blank. But one thing that had always been clear in my mind was this, watching him perform with his little skiffle group. I'm absolutely captivated by John. The way he moves and speaks. The way he plays guitar and sings. Everything. My heart flutters at the sight of him smiling to the crowd. Wait, what am I thinking? I shake the thought from my mind.

Anyways, after the group finishes their set, Ivan takes me to meet them. My heart is pounding. I brought my guitar with me so that I can audition for the band.

"Hey John! I'd like ye to meet my friend, Paul McCartney." Ivan says.

John looks over at me.

"Paul plays too y'know." Ivan says.

"With himself?" John says with a chuckle as he strides over to me.

My eyes widen slightly in surprise.
"I do, all the time, it's good for the wrist muscles."

He extends his hand to me, and I shake it, feeling a slight blush grow on my cheeks for some reason.

"I'm paul."

"John. Why don't you fiddle us a little toon eh?" John says in a childish voice, gesturing at the guitar strung around my shoulder.

"Yeah, sure." I say, pulling my guitar around to my front. I try to act confident, and the amount of confidence that John gives off rubs off on me a little. I start to play a little riff on the guitar and sing along. After I finish, I look at John. He doesn't show any sign of being impressed.

"You're alright Paul." He says, clapping me on the back and giving me a smirk.

"I've never heard that song before, what's it called?"

"Oh, that's an original of mine that I've been working on."

"You wrote that?" I see John raise his eyebrows slightly, but the look quickly disappears "I've got to get to rehearsing, super busy schedule y'know?"

"Do you think I could be in your band?" I ask, trying not to sound desperate. This wasn't going as good as I expected, I think I let my nerves get the best of me. I mean, 8 years of waiting can make you overthink things a little.

"I'll have to sleep on it mate." John said stretching and faking a yawn.

I nod and turn to leave with Ivan.
"Don't worry mate, John's just a bit of an ass." Ivan says.

I give a small chuckle and smile at my friend. Let's hope that's the case.