Chapter 12

"Alright, now that we calmed down and apologized, let's focus on tomorrow."

Romano came out of his room a few hours later, once most of his anger went away. He knew it would only make things worse if they don't talk about the situation as soon as possible.

Italy has calmed down as well, his eyes still red. Spain has stayed by his side all that time, and the trio was now sitting at the table, together, with a few papers and a map on top of it.

"How are we going to defend ourselves now, we're almost out of ammunitions..." says Romano, a frown still showing on his face. "We won't stand against that British jerk !"

Spain tries to reassure him. "Calm down Romano. We've talked about this."

"About what ?" questions the confused Italian.

"Oh, right... I said I would lend you guys some money, enough to make it through that battle."

With a glare, Romano adds, "Can't your stupid potato bastard h-"

"Hey, I told you not to call him like that, brother !"

"Don't fucking give me orders !!" Romano starts losing his temper again, only to be put back in his place by Spain. "Can't he at least give you money, like Spain did ?"

Germany did propose Italy his help, but he refused. Italy assumed Germany needed it more, since his country was more important among the Alliance. "Um... he actually did propose, but..."

"Don't tell me you said no." Italy stays silent, but Romano has already guessed his answer. "Ugh, how can you be so stupid !"

"Stop insulting him Romano !" Spain tells him in a loud voice. "He just cares a lot about Germany, that's all !" Romano lowers his head and doesn't answer. "Besides, you haven't accepted my help right away either."

This line makes Romano react, his cheeks becoming red, as he looks up at the man. "I didn't !!"

Chuckling, Spain comes back to the previous topic. "Anyway. So, right now the front is..."

"There." Romano points at the map, doing a rough line that encircles their capital, another the Vatican, and a few other bits of battlefield where there is still action.

"Here too." Italy notices, showing the area next to the borders.

His brother confirms, "Sì, there too."

"Where is England's army attacking tomorrow ?"

Romano indicates once again the different places where the soldiers might arrive. Spain continues asking questions, to which mostly Romano answers, Italy completing whenever he forgets something. Now that he has a global idea of their situation, Spain takes a few minutes to think, scratching the back of his head. "That's tough..." Spending a moment with his own thoughts, Spain finally has a plan. "Alright, listen."

After an hour or so explaining and helping both Italians understand what to do to make the most of this battle with the little money they have, it was all settled down.

"Grazie mille for helping us !!" exclaims Italy in joy as he takes Spain in his arms.

Letting out half a chuckle and giving a gentle pat on his shoulder, Spain answers with, "Oh, it's nothing~" and looks up at Romano. He was leaning against his crossed arms on the desk, looking down at the map and all the notes they took. He seemed to be lost in his thoughts, until he's brought back from them by Italy's happy voice. Meeting Spain's eyes, he thanks him too. "Yeah, thanks..."

Italy wakes up, screaming, cold sweat running down his spine. "Oh, nightmare again..." Since the day the war has started in his country, horrid memories from past battles were coming back to him. Death, guns, blood, everything starts all over again. Repressed at day, the thoughts were reappearing at night through nightmares. When Germany was depressed, Italy got scared the same will happen to him. Who will then be by Germany's side when he was at his worst ? Curling up in his bed, Italy picks up his smartphone, dialling Germany's number through his teary eyes.

"Italy ?" to the sound of his voice, Italy breaks down in tears. Germany already knew why he was calling. "Calm down, calm down. You need to rest, you have to fight tomorrow." He wasn't very good with words. But Italy didn't care, having him by his side was enough.

"I knoooww..."

"Hey, don't cry. It was just a silly nightmare. Hear ? I'm still there."

"Hm..."

"How can I help you, Liebling ?" He indeed wasn't good with words, but he knew which ones Italy has a liking for. It worked.

He answers between sniffing noises, "Tell me a story~"

A groan can be heard from the other end. "It's three in the morning..."

"Aw please~"

"Nein. Italy, it's not the time for bed stories."

"Per favore~?" Italy insists, already forgetting about the nightmare.

"Nein, I've told you. Go to sleep, that is, if you feel better."

He pouts. "I can't feel better if you don't tell me a story..." A few seconds of silence follow.

"I won't tell a story, but I can count sheeps." Germany answers, before letting out a sigh. "Deal ?"

His face lighting up, happy that he was able to get something out of him, Italy lays back in bed, covering himself with the blanket, and puts his phone beside his pillow on speaker mode. "Ready~!" A few minutes after listening to his man's soothing, deep voice, Italy falls back asleep, a smile on his face.

Once Germany feels that Italy's not here anymore, he quietly ends his counting with a "Gute Nacht." and hangs up.

"Ha, we did it !!!" a loud voice exclaims, as the person takes the one next to them in their arms. Romano couldn't contain his joy after seeing the enemy retreat. Italy hugs him back.

Spain walks to them from behind, joining them in their celebration. "Don't forget, it's not over yet."

"But hey, we did it today !!" deep down, Romano was convinced this battle was their last one, even with Spain's help. Yet, thanks to him, they had a better organization, a better defense plan, and a better supplies management, which took the enemy by surprise. "And all that thanks to you !" he continues, pointing at Spain's chest.

"Oh, come on, I only helped to plan all that, you guys fought well too !"

Romano crosses his arms. "I know you're a jerk, but don't be a modest one, for God's sake."

"He's right, you helped us a lot !" Italy adds in a cheerful tone.

Spain couldn't help but smile at the two brothers. He was proud of them. Wrapping his arms around their shoulders and leading them out of the battlefield, Spain changes the topic. "Let's go out of there, shall we~?"

Both agreed at the same time.