Chapter 5

A few countries gathered this morning in a big hall for the monthly meeting. France sits at his usual place, next to an empty chair where England used to sit. Around him, the main countries participating in the war, as well as countries helping them : Germany, Italy, Romano, America, and Japan.

The meeting hasn't started yet. The room is loud, everyone chatting with each other. France on the other hand, is silent, waiting. Once it was ten in the morning, America stands up and starts talking, loud enough for everyone to hear.

"Alright people, the meeting will start !!"

"Stay serious, please..." Japan whispers to him while everyone is getting ready.

When the room got silent, America continues, "We'll start by the most important part, me !!"

Trying hard not to facepalm because of how tactless America is, nonetheless, Japan stays calm.

"Today y'all are going to receive your monthly financial support from me. Half a million dollars each."

Letting out a scoff, Romano interrupts him, "You're not even in the war, why don't you help us out more ??"

"Hey !! Aren't you aware of the crisis my states are going through ? Consider yourself lucky I'm even helping."

Not answering back, Romano crosses his arms and hums a quiet "Hm."

Sitting close to Germany, Italy tells America, "Don't listen to him, we're very glad that you're helping us~!" after that he gently hits his brother's foot under the table, without hurting him.

Smiling again, America continues, "Now, time to tell me what you dudes used the money for during the last month, so I can give those reports to my boss !" Sitting back down, he looks over at Japan to ask, "How was I ?"

Feeling awkward answering that question when everyone is hearing them, Japan whispers, a drop of sweat appearing on his forehead, "Awesome. Now stay calm."

Content with himself, America leans in his chair, crossing his arms and stretching out his feet, one on top of another. With a wide smile, he looks over at France and waits for him to go first.

Seeing he can speak, France starts by answering, "Same as before, I used it for weapons, the army, hospitals, food, things like that. We had, heu..." thinking for a second, rewinding the last weeks in his head, France continues, "three major fights against England. They're halfway to Paris, but progressing slowly."

Nodding, America asks, "How is he, by the way ?"

Hiding his faint smile behind his hands that he folded in front of his mouth, France answers calmly, "Could be better."

Silent until now, Germany raises his voice, "Why doesn't he face his boss if he claims that he doesn't want to fight us ?"

"You don't understand Germany, his boss will-"

"He can't stand up for himself, so he lets millions of people die and suffer instead ??"

"It's not his fault his boss is a dictator !"

"He's responsible for his country, how can't it be his fault ??"

Worrying that Germany would get into an argument, knowing how he's felt lately, Italy tries to speak but gets interrupted by France, "You're no one to judge, Germany !!"

Not knowing what to answer, Germany stays silent, staring at France with a frown.

Gasping quietly at his last statement, Italy shouts back "France !", before shaking Germany's arm, hoping it didn't make him feel worse, "Germany, don't be upset at him, he didn't mean it !"

Hiding his feelings to not worry Italy, Germany does his best to keep it to himself and leans in his chair, gently pushing away Italy's hands from his arm. "I'm good."

Not wanting to start an argument either, France sits back in his chair, still upset. "I'm done."

As Japan is taking notes, it's Italy's turn to talk. "We, used it for, uh... weapons, to help the soldiers... what else ?" he wonders to himself, whispering.

"To build barriers to protect the people." finishes Romano.

"Sì ! We had to face, hm... four or five fights, but we were quite bad at them, heh..."

Rubbing the back of his head, Romano continues, "Our citizens are in danger, and living in pretty bad conditions."

Looking at Romano, then back at America, Italy adds, "But England's army is still far from the capital~"

"I would say they're pretty close." Romano corrects him, with a glare.

Thinking for a second, America says, "Well, I would help both of you out by giving more money, but it means giving less the next months."

"No no, we're good America, we have some spare money~! Right, Romano ?"

Looking at him with a frown, Romano answers in a quiet groan, "Hm."

"Alright then !" America reacts in a cheerful tone. "Now you, Germany !"

Sitting back in his chair with his arms crossed until now, Germany moves forward to rest against the table and answers, "I use the money mostly for the soldiers, and save the rest." Glancing over at America, he adds, "I don't need your help, America. Give that money to countries that need it more, like Italy."

"Nah chill out dude, I have enough for everyone ! Plus, haven't you lost your last fight ?"

Turning away to look in front of him, he replies after a groan, annoyed by America's childish attitude, "Ja, I did. All my soldiers died at once, and no one knows why."

"Ow, that sucks." Hitting his arm with his elbow, Japan glares at America, who looks back at him, placing his hand where he got hit. "Ouch, dude !"

"I think I'll surrender." Germany finishes, with a heavy sigh.

Not aware of that decision before, both Japan and America turn to him, surprised. "What ??"

Grabbing his arm again, Italy tries to hold back his tears. "Noo Germany, we've talked about this !!"

"Germany, you can't surrender ! Surrendering means admitting England's boss is stronger than you !" Japan says, panicked, as he walks next to Italy.

"It's best for my soldiers."

Breaking down in tears, Italy hides his face against Japan's shirt, wrapping his arms around his waist. "He won't listen to me, Japan !!"

Germany keeps his forehead against his clasped hands to hide his eyes, looking down at the desk. Meanwhile, Japan is standing next to him, trying to calm Italy down by stroking his hair.

Not believing what he just heard, America stands up and slams a fist against the desk, pointing at Germany with his other hand. "Listen, soldiers go to the army to serve their country. They'll do anything to protect their land, even if it means dying. They don't expect you to pamper them ! By going to war, they accept their fate !" Putting his hand down, he finishes by saying, "So man up !!"

Listening to him, but not lifting his head up, Germany stays silent, motionless.

"Once one does it, the others will follow..." Japan adds, calmly.

"We're almost done with it !" says France, joining the others.

No reaction. No answer.

Italy was quietly staring at Germany this whole time, hoping he would say he's changed his mind. Seeing it's not the case, he throws himself to embrace Germany in his arms and tell him through sobs and tears, "Germany please, say something ! We'll help you !"

All of a sudden, the man stands up, pulling himself away from Italy, and leaves the hall, closing the door loudly behind him. An oppressive silence fills the room. The meeting is over.