Chapter 29

I sat there in the cortex, waiting, looking at the screen hoping that something would pop up, something to distract me. I couldn't get my mind off the worst possibility, that I had lost him.

I didn't cherish the time; I didn't make the most of it. I was so mad at myself. When he was here, I didn't understand that it could have been the last time I was with him.

I finally stand up and start to head to the training room to get my anger out. I couldn't stand the silence, the waiting.

"Kara." Alex runs to the staircase and yells down to me. I turn to look at her, her expression is plain, telling me nothing. I can't tell if it's good news or bad, but then I let my hearing abilities do the explaining.

"Kara, she's great. Where is she?" I hear Monel's voice and I feel my smile shape. I fly up the stairs and feel myself running up to his room. I see him sitting up in his hospital bed. He turns slowly from Eliza to face me.

When his eyes land on me, he shows me a soft smile. I can't help myself, as tears start running down my face, I run over to him and wrap my trembling arms around him.

I stay there. Sitting beside him, gripping him inside my arms, not wanting to let go, ever. I feel myself finally let him go and lean my head on his. I have no words to express my feelings of relief and happiness.

"So, is he okay?" I finally form words, lifting my head and looking over at Eliza. She smiles at me and nods silently.

"He should be all healed in a few hours with the anecdote." I get up and hug her, so incredible thankful for her help. She hugs me back laughing lightly. I watched as Alex walks in the room I hug. I move away from Eliza and extend my arms around Alex. She begins giggling and as the stress fades, I join her.

"Thank you both, so much." I say moving away from both of them and sitting on Monel's bed. His hand intertwines in mine as my eyes glance from him onto my two saviors. They both exit with a smile and lets us be alone.

I turn my body all the way around so that I'm facing him. His cuts are smaller, and he almost looks like himself again.

"You had me so worried. You know that?" I say to him, playfully punching his arm, but being serious at the same time, but of course he just keeps smiling. "Don't leave me, again." I warn him, wanting him to take this situation serious for a minute. "Ever." I whisper as a tear rolls down my cheek. In the silence, Monel reaches up and wipes it away.

"Why am I so lucky?" He says resting his hand on my face, holding it. His hand felt so smooth and gentle against my cheek. I never wanted to lose this ever. This love. His presence, everything.

"Monel, promise me. Next time this happens, we make the decision together." I plead, hoping he'll listen to me.

"Okay." He simply says with a small grin.

"We fight together-"

"Never alone." He finishes my sentence looking stern. I rest my head on his chest, feeling relief illuminate my body. We sit there in unison, together, matched perfectly in place. I feel my eyes start to close from exhaustion of the stress, and soon I give in, no longer wanting to fight it.

**********

"Kara, kara." I feel someone shaking me and my eyes shot open to land on Monel. His cuts and bruises are gone, as if they were never there. "Come on, let's go home." I get up weary and hold up Monel as he stands.

We walk hand in hand out of the DEO and to my apartment. Monel proves he has healed up, since he walks with a perfect stride all the way there. I close the apartment door behind us.

I hear Monel run upstairs and when I turn around from locking the door, he is back, in front of me showing his dashing smile. I take a step forward wanting to get inside, but when he goes down onto his knee, I hesitate. I start to lean down to help him, but when he flashes a ring, I feel myself freeze.

"Monel, what-"

"Kara Zorel Danvers, I can't spend another day without you. Will you do me the greatest honor in marrying me." I am so taken back by these words that I have to step back, hitting the closed door.

He stands immediately and walks over to me. "I don't want to fight next to anyone else, you are my life, my home. I need you. I need to you always by my side." He laughs slightly, but I can't help but remain silent. Shock is still coursing through my veins and he can obviously see that. "Kara......" He says stepping forward, closing the gap between us.

"Monel, what the hell are you thinking?" I finally say. He looks at me confused and worried, but when an uncontrollable smile forms on my face, I place my hand in front of him. "Of course, I will."

His expression radiates to excitement and he grabs my bare hand. Within seconds, he slides the ring on my finger, showing another dashing smile as he watches himself do this.

He looks up at me and our eyes lock. I feel myself dive at him with a passion filled kiss that lasts as long as we can make it last. He then picks me up and runs me into the bedroom, setting me on the bed. He then leans into me and kisses me, softly, and I savior every moment.

The night was like a dream, satisfying and passionate.