22 Chess Champion

Part22 

Khushi searched for Ratna to convey about their Mumbai trip. As she didn't find her in the kitchen she walked towards her room. She saw her playing Chess with Arvind. She rushed to them and kneeled down in front of the chessboard excitedly.

Khushi: Amma, you play chess?

Ratna: Yeah...

Khushi: why didn't you say it before? We would have played...

Ratna: I'm not so good at Chess.

Arvind: Yeah... she wins only against Chotte.

He teased whereas Ratna pouted.

Ratna: That's why I'm not interested to play with him.

Khushi (not understanding): Why Amma?

Arvind: Because he always loses the game and let her win.

Khushi: Really?

Ratna: But Chotte never lets Arvind win.

She laughed.

Arvind: I agree he intentionally loses to his beloved ones. Doesn't mean he don't love me. He thinks that I will win him one day.

Ratna: But, he makes me feel good by losing the game...

She said proudly.

Khushi (smilingly): Winning Arnavji is not so big deal. I won him one time.

Arvind and Ratna spared a glance and smiled. Khushi perplexed by their smile.

Khushi: Why?

Arvind: He lost the game to you too?

Ratna: What will you say now? Don't I say he doesn't let his beloved ones feel low?

Arvind nodded yes.

Khushi: You mean, he lost my game intentionally?

Ratna nodded yes and gestured Arvind. He went to the cupboard and brought a few certificates. He showed it to Khushi. Khushi looked at them one by one shockingly. Those were Arnav's chess competition certificates. He was a state champion. And he played for many years and won for his school and university. Khushi was bemused like ever before. Ratna smiled inwardly as her next move get completed.

Arnav is a chess champion. He always loses to Ratna to make her feel high. But he plays the right game with Arvind. She remembered Arnav and Shashi's game. Undoubtedly, Shashi plays a better game than Khushi. Shashi never loses the game if he plays. He lost to Arnav. If Arnav is capable to win Shashi, how he lost the game against Khushi. What's all this? Did he lose the game to let her win the BET? She thought about how he played. Yes... he played first-rated game at the beginning. Then only he played the worst game. Why?

Ratna shook her shoulder.

Ratna: Where were you lost?

Khushi: Does Arnavji lose the game only to you?

Arvind: He had done the same with Ratna's mother... his Nani... he loves her so much.

Ratna: Yes... but he never did that to my father. He makes BET with my father and gets something from him.

Khushi faked a smile.