"You ready?" Hobbs questioned.

"As ready as I'll ever be."

"All right. We'll have eyes on you twenty-four-seven, so if Lynch tries anything prematurely, we'll be able to get to you in time. Jackson will meet you at the races. If anyone is anyone, they'll know who you are, and word will get around. Lynch will come for you after that."

"How are we going to ensure the rest of his minions come with him?" Sam asked.

"Does he ever go anywhere without them?" Brandon added.

"Usually not," Jackson said. "However, if he doesn't want them knowing Jace is his son, that might change. Lynch is our main priority, though. His partners are dangerous, but without their leader, they're nothing but muscle."

"If we keep Jace here any longer, he's going to miss his flight," Ember interrupted. She turned to me. "You ready?"

I nodded. "I'll see you on the other side."

After giving everyone a hug or a handshake, I shouldered my bag and left the safety of the apartment.
 _________________________________

Two days later...

The flight had been long and arduous, and I had a crick in my neck from trying to sleep. I hadn't slept in reality. Traveling without my friends at my side unnerved me. For all I knew, I could have a sniper zeroing in on my position, ready to shoot me on sight.

I stood on the outskirts of the races, trying to pretend I was engaged in watching them. After everything I'd been through, they didn't quite hold the same excitement for me anything.

"What the hell are you doing?" Jackson's angry voice came from behind me. I turned around to see him getting out of his car, fury written across his face. All I could think was how good of an actor he was, which made me wonder what else he was acting as.

 All I could think was how good of an actor he was, which made me wonder what else he was acting as

"What does it look like I'm doing? I'm watching the races," I replied, giving him a cold glare.

"I'm talking about abandoning us," he retorted, stepping towards me. I took one of my own to ensure it looked like I wasn't backing down.

"I was only staying because of Ember!" I snarled. "And she's dead now, thanks to you! You're the one that got her involved with Lynch, and she paid the ultimate price. Now the girl I loved is dead, and I'm trying to get away from the people that remind me of her."

Jackson shoved me with such a force that there was no way he was acting. This was raw emotion. "I wouldn't have met her, had you not messed with her heart! So you can take your argument and shove it up your ass, because the only person to blame here is you!"

"Don't you dare pin this on me!" I shoved back, getting in his face. By now, we were gathering some onlookers. Some even had their phones out recording.

Good. I thought.

"Ember was innocent until she met you!"

"Until she met you, she never had to deal with Lynch! This is all your fault!" I barely saw it coming, his fist towards my face. It slammed into my cheek, and I went down, dazed from the impact. Jackson lifted me up by the lapels of my jacket.

"You ever speak of her again to me like that, I'll kill you," he growled.

"Screw you!" I spat, then kneed him hard. Jackson went down but took me to the ground with him. He was attempting to push himself up on one arm while winding up his other to punch me again. He probably would've had Brandon and Sam not burst through the crowd and placed themselves between us.

"Jackson, what are you doing?" Sam demanded.

"Finding out what the hell he's doing and putting him in his place," he said, trying to lunge at me again. She pushed him back while Brandon remained with his arms outstretched to keep us away from each other. "He's the reason she's dead!"

I glowered at him. "People around me seemed to end up dead right now. First, my mom, now Ember. If you're not careful, you'll be next."

"Is that a threat?"

"Consider it a warning."

"Come on, let's go," Sam said. "He's made up his mind. Punching him isn't going to bring her back."

"No, but it sure as hell made me feel better." Sam dragged Jackson away, leaving me with Brandon. He hesitated. I must've looked horrible if he wasn't following the plan.

"You gonna be okay?" Brandon asked, eyeing me warily.

I waved my hand at him, trying to stay in character. "I'm fine. Just go. I don't want anything to do with any of you anymore. Ember was the reason I stayed, and she's gone. Just... just leave me be."

Brandon clenched his jaw, then walked off, his head down. I scowled at the onlookers; they hastily turned their attention back to the races. I went to my car, sinking into the driver's seat, and wincing at the pain in my jaw. The punch hadn't been scripted, and I wonder why he went off of it. It was undoubtedly convincing, which made me think the fury he released on me had some truth behind it.

My phone ringing blared next to me. I cringed at the loudness, quickly fumbling to answer. "Hello?"

"Are you okay? I saw what happened," Ember asked anxiously on the other line.

"Uh, does he have a grudge against me?"

"I don't know. I'm going to talk to him about it. But are you okay?"

"I'm fine. I hurt, but I'm okay. It's not as bad as being shot."

"Oh god, don't remind me about that... I could've lost you if the person hadn't had such a lousy shot. Do you need me to come over and patch you up?"

"No, you'd risk blowing our operation. I'll be okay. Just protect yourself. And let me know why Jackson hates me."

She sighed. "Okay. Be careful, take care of yourself, and I'll see you soon. I love you."

"I love you, too." We hung up, and with a grimace of pain, I drove back to the hotel I'd rented out for the time being.