Chapter 4

Just watched Fast and Furious 6 and while it was good, I still think Fast Five is my favorite.  But it made me want to write more for this story so here you go :)

Chapter Quote:
“Why do I smell baby oil?”
~Roman Pearce in Fast and Furious 7
_____________________________________________

Chapter 4

With traffic, it took an hour for me and Jason to get to Santa Monica Pier.  It was pretty crowded today for some reason.  He and I got out of the car and started walking.  The sun was scorching so I decided to say, “Are you in the mood for ice cream?”

“Only if I get to pay for it,” Jason countered.

“Free ice cream for me.  Go right ahead.” He grinned as we headed to the first ice cream place we saw.  I got a large chocolate chip cookie dough with M&M’s and sprinkles.  Jason got mint chocolate chip with Oreo chunks.  Like he bargained with me, he paid for both of ours.  I felt bad because it was pretty expensive, but I let it slide.  He had wanted to pay for it.  The two of us walked leisurely down the pier.

“So I have a question for you,” I said.

“Shoot.”

“You know about my family, so may I know about yours?”

Jace hesitated. “There’s not much to tell.  I don’t speak to anyone from my family anymore and they don’t try and speak to me.”

“Well if you ever need to talk to someone, I’ve been told I’m a good listener,” I offered.

“Long story short, my father ditched me and my mother when he found out she was pregnant with me.  After I was born, mom got depressed, started drinking and never stopped.  It’s amazing I got through school let alone to college.  I applied for a lot of scholarships which is helping me out paying for UCLA.  I was that wimpy, smart kid who got picked on all the time.  But I went with it.  Funny thing is, now they’re into street-racing and I kick all their asses at it.”

“And I’m sure you’re better looking,” I remarked.

Jason laughed. “Puberty has apparently treated me very well.  Okay, now answer me this, why are you still working for your uncle when you have an awesome business degree?”

“It’s hard to find a job out here in LA and to be honest, I don’t want to leave my mom alone.  I’m all she has in the house.  Ever since my dad died, I’ve been really protective of her and I hate leaving her.  I know one day I’ll have to but today is not that day, nor is any day in the near future.”

“That I understand, especially the job part.  You would think with this place being such a big city and all, there’d be more jobs, but no!  It’s crazy!  I’d love a good job but I can’t find one, and no one wants to hire a kid living by himself with no previous work experience and no references.”

“Like my mom said, if you ever need a job, just ask Dom.  We need some more help, and you seem to know a lot about cars.”

“Do you really think Dom Toretto trusts me to be around you?” Something about his tone hinted to me there was a reason he’d said the statement in the first place.

“What did my uncle say to you?” I demanded, looking up at him.

“He said ‘be careful, Jason,’ and then walked away.  Then your Aunt Letty came up and told me if I broke your heart, he’d break my neck and then she and your mother would be right behind him.”

“It takes a lot to break me, let alone break my heart.  You’ll piss me off sooner than you’ll hurt me.  So don’t worry about it.”

“I’m pretty sure if I hurt you in any way, your uncle would kill me and make it look like an accident.  No offense.”