Love You to Death Chapter 3

Seconds felt like hours as I fell through time. I couldn't believe I was fully conscious as I was drifting through the wormhole. I felt heavy, but light. I felt everything, but nothing all at once. It was something I had never experienced in my life. As I fell, I saw a bright light at the end of my field of vision. The bright light got even brighter as I fell towards it at an ungodly rate. Next thing I knew, the bright light consumed me and I was plopped down on the ground. I had no idea where I was. I was disoriented from my journey through time and space. I had clutched my head, my head throbbing from all that had happened. When I looked up, I saw that I was in an alleyway. I turned around and behind me was a brick wall. There was trash scattered about and cat running away from me. It smelled like shit. Not literal shit, but it just smelled dirty as all hell.

"So this is my portal from the past to present." I whispered to myself.

I touched the brick wall, but nothing happened. I gathered that I might have to run through the brick wall like I did the time machine. I lightly laughed to myself because it reminded me a lot of Harry Potter.

I got out my accordion folder and a pen from my bag. I walked down to the end of the alleyway and wrote down the nearest streets on the inside of the folder. I have never been to New York City in my entire life so I was pretty lost. I returned to the end of the alleyway and shuffled around my bag for my phone.

"Wow, I have full bars here." I thought to myself as I unlocked my phone and went into my maps app. I set my location and saw that I was in the area of Red Hook in Brooklyn. The time machine sent me back to where Peter lived. I would have to thank Dr. Schmidt for making this task a bit easier. I scrolled around the area in my app, trying to get a grip on my surroundings. I put my phone on top of my bag and rummaged through the accordion folder, trying to find info on where my car was. The paper said that it should be parked on the street right near where the portal was. If I made a left out of the alleyway, the car should be parked in front of a convenience store, about 500 feet away. I pulled out the keys to my car and put the paper away. The keys were to a Pontiac. I smiled because that was the first type of car I had when I was learning how to drive. I packed up the folder and put it back in my bag along with my phone.

I walked out of the alleyway and made a left. The sun was already up and people were already filling the streets. Women with children in tow, men in suits walking at a brisk pace. I felt out of place, but the people didn't seem to notice. I kept walking, taking in my surroundings. This place was much different than my home in Pennsylvania. I chuckled to myself at the sounds of people talking on the street. Their accents were something I've never experienced. I walked 'til I found the convenience store and there sat a 1993 Pontiac Sunbird coupe in a sparkly red. The windows were tinted so I couldn't see in it. I quickly got the keys out of my pocket and unlocked the driver side door and got in, placing my bag in the passenger seat. I locked the door and put the keys in the ignitions, starting that puppy up. I realized why the windows were tinted so much. Where there should've been a radio was a standard touch screen in normal cars from my time. This car was even equipped with nav, bluetooth multimedia settings and a hands free speaker so I could talk on the phone.

"This keeps getting funnier and funnier."

I opened the glovebox to see if I needed to familiarize myself with anything. Instead of finding just the owner's manual, I found that and a note with a key attached to it. The note said that I already had housing ready to go for me west of my current location. The side note at the bottom of the note said that there was a button on my driver's side door that would transform the touch screen into a normal radio that was standard for the time, in case anybody got in the car with me. I folded the note up and put in my bag. I put the house keys in my pocket. I entered the address into my nav system and drove about 5 minutes to my new residence.

I pulled up to my new home and parked my Pontiac. There was only off street parking, but that was understandable because this was a city after all. I grabbed my bag and got out of my car, locking it. I walked up the stairs to an old, brick, 3 story townhome and put the house keys in the door. I opened the door and couldn't believe this was my new home. I walked into a little vestibule area where you could hang your jacket up and put your shoes at. There was another door to go through the vestibule area. I walked through that door and it took me into the first floor living area. Against the left wall was a set of stairs. To the right of the stairs was a hallway that I presumed took me into the kitchen. Off to my right, near the hallway, was an entryway that took me into the living room. I walked into the living room and noticed that it was already furnished with comfortable looking chairs, a sofa, a TV, bookcase and a record player. I was already digging this place because it had a record player. There was 3 massive, floor to ceiling windows that were 3 feet wide. Natural light flooded the room and I basked in the rays. I set my bag down in the living room and walked through an archway to the left of the living room that took me into the dining room and spacious kitchen. This place could have honestly house a family of 4 easily. The kitchen had tons of counter space and even a bar for extra people to sit at. There was a door in the kitchen that led to a little porch and a small backyard. I could actually plant a small garden in the corner of the property.

I walked down the hallway from the kitchen and took the stairs up to the second floor. Right off the stairs was a full bathroom with clawfoot tub, a normal shower and a nice sized vanity with a huge mirror. Next to the bathroom was the master bedroom, already furnished with a king sized mattress and fresh linens. There was a dresser and a small walk-in closet. I was losing my mind at how perfect this house was. I walked out of that room and down a small hallway and noticed two other bedrooms to my left, fully furnished as well. At the end of the hallway, I turned to the right and saw an old door. I opened it up and there was another set of stairs. I walked up those and that took me to the third floor. The third floor was a finished attic that was empty. I looked around and thought about what I could do to personalize it. I would make it a little hippie hole when I had the chance. I walked back down to the second floor and closed the door. I just noticed all the flooring in the house was hardwood, including the attic. Gosh, this really was my dream home.

I walked back down to the first floor and plopped myself down on the sofa and let out a sigh. Could this really be happening? Is this a dream? I got up and pulled my phone out of my bag. I sent an email to Dr. Schmidt, letting him know that I found my new residence and that I was settled in. He emailed me back a minute later, telling me he was grateful I made it to the location safe and sound. I placed my phone on the coffee table and walked into the kitchen, my stomach starting to rumble. I forgot that I didn't eat breakfast before I left. I realized that there was no food in here at all, but that was alright. My boss did enough with just furnishing the place, which I thought I needed to do. I rummaged through the drawers in the kitchen and found a pen and some paper. I made a grocery list consisting of what I normally ate. I went into the living room and grabbed my phone again, trying to find the nearest grocery store. I found one 8 or so minutes east of my home. I went into my accordion folder and pulled out a $100 bill. I put the folder away and grabbed my wallet. I replaced my old ID's with a the new ones from Dr. Schmidt. I placed the wallet in my purse along with my phone and keys, locked the door and got in my car.

The grocery store was packed with women and their children when I got there. I looked at my watch and saw that it was only 8:30 in the morning. I quickly grabbed everything that I needed and got out. I drove back home with 4 big paper bags filled to the brim with food. I pulled up to my house and got out. I walked to the passenger side door and opened it. I pulled out the bags and tried to carry them all at once. What a mistake that was... I closed the car door with my butt and I could hardly see where I was going with four big bags filled with food. I tripped and fell over a lip on the concrete sidewalk, my grocery bags falling from my arms. I huffed and looked around, hoping no one saw me. My apples and oranges rolled down the sidewalk and I quickly tried to round them up. My eggs seemed to be a casualty from this incident too. They were smashed to smithereens, the yolks just laying on the sidewalk haphazardly.

"Are you freaking kidding me?" I whispered harshly to myself.

When I looked around, I was almost certain no one saw me fall. That's what I thought. That assumption was blown out of the water when I was approached by a tall, yet gentle man with long, dark black hair and piercing green eyes. I had my back turned to him, muttering harsh utterances to myself when I noticed a towering shadow coming over me. I turned around, startled to all hell, when I realized it wasn't just any man. It was the Peter Steele.