Chapter Sixty-Nine- The Cost To Enter the Great Hall

Start from the beginning

"Remus, quit squirming around in your seat. It looks like you have ants in your pants." James had emphasized the statement in such a way that Remus was convinced they had repeated the prank from earlier in the year and accused them of that assumption with horror in a hushed tone. "Now Remus, we have more creativity than to repeat a prank," James said, sounding scandalized at the notion.

"Patricia told them that a good prankster never repeats their pranks," Peter exclaimed proudly.

"That's right I did!" Patricia called from down the table, waving at them. She had sworn they would go into the Forbidden Forest with her next year, which Remus was not looking forward to.

James grinned and waved back with Sirius and even Peter, who didn't seem quite so scared of her anymore. Also, this time James' cheeks weren't red at the sight of Patricia. Remus realized when they hung out with her several times in the past few days he had seemed quite normal with her. Remus just hoped he would get over his crush on Lily, which he still denied, as quickly, for James' own sake and sanity.

"Patricia, don't encourage them," Kinglsey admonished her quietly, though they could still clearly hear his naturally loud voice. Patricia merely shrugged and winked at them.

"I can't wait till she takes us to the Forbidden Forest next year," James whispered eagerly. Remus, not wanting to get into this conversation again, changed the topic quickly.

"You two claim you don't repeat pranks over. But you already repeated the Slytherin swamp prank," he whispered, getting dirty looks from his friends who actually seemed offended. They were so ridiculous!

"That was different," Sirius cut in.

"A matter of pride," James agreed.

Sirius turned to James in mock astonishment. "Honestly, Potter, I thought we trained him better than this."

"Goodness, Black, you're right! He should know better by now."

Remus rolled his eyes as Sirius and James tuttered at him.

"I know better," Peter grinned.

"Too true you are, dear pupil," Sirius replied, sounding very posh and proper. He even lifted his pinky as he sipped his tea, causing Peter to snort into his.

"Our star pupil," James finished in just as posh tones mirroring Sirius in drinking his tea.

"Do I even want to know?" Dorcas asked from down the opposite side of the table, but she sounded amused. Not missing a beat James and Sirius turned to her in perfect synchronization, still holding their teacups with their pinkies in the air:

"You mustn't stick your nose where it doesn't belong, my dear."

"Only members of our secret society are privy to that information."

Dorcas laughed. Marlene looked annoyed, then grinned and whispered something in Dorcas' ear which made her laugh harder. James and Sirius colored slightly, knowing when they had become the other side of the joke. For a few minutes, they drank their tea and nibbled on rolls provided before breakfast in peace. For a few blissful minutes anyways.

"DENIED!" boomed a voice suddenly, echoing throughout the hall so loudly that for an instant Remus thought it was a howler.

"Tell me you didn't send the Slytherins howlers!" he hissed horrified. Not only would that anger the Slytherins, but it would cause the Great Hall to be annoyingly loud for the entirety of breakfast! James and Sirius turned to him with such delight that he realized he had just made a terrible mistake.

"I do think there's hope for him after all, James!"

"What a brilliant idea, Remus! Next year for sure."