A Helping Hand

Start bij het begin

"I have no quarrel with Pyrrha," Randi responded. "She's a skilled fighter and was able to defeat me fairly. I look forward to fighting her again sometime."

"Oh, come on Rand," Smit implored, resorting to his ridiculous nickname for his partner. Is it really so hard to say one extra syllable? "She not only beat you; she had you at the end of her sword! We all saw you talking after the match. Invincible Girl rubbing your face in it?"

"I already told you, she thanked me for the match and asked if we could spar together sometime." Randi smugly answered, proud to have impressed such a renowned fighter, even as she ignored Smit's feigned disbelief. "She enjoyed the challenge and hoped I could push her to get better." The newly familiar, devious smile once again appeared on Randi's face as she continued, "And if I happen to notice potential flaws in her form to exploit in class, all the better."

Randi may not have been bitter about the loss, but she obviously wanted a little revenge.

"That's more like it!" Smit laughed, mumbling something about one of his teammates being normal. "Well, just promise it won't take so long next time. You two must have set a record for the longest spar in school history. It was exciting at first, but got kind of old after the first three hours." Smit's penchant for over exaggeration was alive and well, it seemed. "I mean, I knew you were good, but that was insane! How on Remnant did you even keep up with her?"

Lilly could admit to being curious as well. Randi clearly had trained in a trial-by-fire type of scenario, being on her own in the Mistralian outskirts for so long, but Pyrrha was otherworldly in her talent. She doubtless had been training most of her life with the best tutors available, and the results spoke for themselves. That a random faunus from the middle of nowhere could come along and actually give her a challenge was pretty unlikely, yet Randi had done just that.

"It definitely wasn't easy. Pyrrha's fast and versatile, able to switch styles instantly, keeping you on the back foot. To be honest, I had to rely pretty heavily on my Semblance." Randi shrugged sheepishly at the admission. "Without it, she probably would've wiped the floor with me."

Smit and Lilly both looked at each other in confusion. You know, I don't even know what her Semblance is. I've told them mine, and Smit's is pretty obvious, but Randi never mentioned hers.

Smit seemed even more embarrassed to not know her Semblance, which, as her partner, was pretty bad. "You've never really told us what kind of Semblance you have. Must be something pretty ridiculous if it can put you on par with Pyrrha." Somehow, he managed to make his lack of knowledge sound like Randi's fault. Sure, she never told us, but we never asked, either.

"Hm, you're right. I guess I did keep you all in the dark on that one." Randi paused as she realized she had kept her Semblance secret from them. Lilly doubted she had done so maliciously. More likely, Randi had just forgotten to mention it and then it never came up. "It's kind of hard to explain. Let me ask you something. How would you describe me?"

They both hesitated, trying to figure out what stood out about their teammate beside the obvious ears and tail. Lilly rather doubted those had anything to do with her Semblance and tried in vain to come up with a better answer. Finally, Smit decided to venture a guess. "Um...tall?"

Lilly's hand struck her forehead at his answer. Really? That's your best guess? I kind of doubt her Semblance has anything to do with her height, idiot.

Randi chuckled before trying to specify what she meant. "Sorry, not physically. How would you describe me as a person?"

"After lunch today, pure evil," Smit joked, recalling the teasing he had endured. Before Randi could try to explain again, Smit continued, "But seriously, I'd say you seem to just know things. You can't read minds, can you?" Lilly was pretty sure his worried look was in regards to some of the thoughts that flew through the void he called a brain on a daily basis. Teenage guy in a room with three beautiful girls? Pretty sure no one wants to know what goes on in there.