NINE

CHAPTER NINE
FEBRUARY 8TH, SATURDAY

TOBIAS WACH

● ● ●

I felt so stupid. I kept replaying yesterday in my head. I couldn't stop thinking about it. What did he mean he was glad he knew?

Knew what? That I didn't want to text him because that was a lie. I did want to text him and I did like texting. I was so stupid. What was I thinking?

Someone knocked on my door. I quickly backed out of texting Brandon and went on Instagram. "Come in," I said.

It was Cass. "Mom said come downstairs. We're getting ready to go."

"Okay. I'll be down in a minute."

I was waiting for her to leave and close my door, but she didn't close the door, so I looked over and saw that she was still there.

"Is something the matter?" She asked.

"No."

"You know you can tell me anything right?"

"Yes. I'm okay." I sighed. I didn't like lying to my sister. "Okay. I'm not okay, but I don't want to talk about it right now. Would you mind if we talk about it later?"

She smiled. "I don't mind at all."

I then turned around more to get a better look at her. She had her ginger hair pulled back into a pony with a green bow. That green bow not only made her green eyes pop but the bow also went with her green sweater that was tucked into her dark blue jeans. To finish off the outfit, she wore brown boots and accessorized with a cross necklace and a bracelet that had her initials on the charm.

Dad gave her that bracelet.

She wore it all the time, and that was the perfect day to wear it since we were going out with his mother, our grandmother for her birthday.

"You look cute today," I said.

She smiled. "I look cute every day."

"True."

"You look cute too."

"Kinda. I'm not as cute as you, though. I hate that I didn't get your eyes. I have boring brown ones, and stupid freckles."

"Freckles are cute, and you're lucky to have them because I wish I had some."

"I wish we could trade. I would give you my freckles for your green eyes."

She laughed. "I would honestly love that but sadly, this is the real world and that's impossible."

"Cassandra and Tobias! Let's go! We don't want to be late this year!" My mom yelled.

I stood up and followed Cass downstairs to the front door where mom waited for us.

"You look nice," my mom said as she stroked my hair.

"Thanks."

"Mom, where's my coat?" Cassandra asked.

"On the couch."

I grabbed my coat from the rack and threw it on along with my shoes before I went outside to the car. From a distance, it looked like no one was sitting in the front seat which made me happy but when I got closer, I noticed Mikey sitting there on his phone.

Mikey was so annoying. He knew I liked to sit in the front.

I knocked on the window. He looked up at me and stuck his tongue out. I tried opening the door, but it was locked. I breathed out a bunch of smoke from my intense sigh mixed with the cold weather's air.