11 - Dance With Me

Start from the beginning

"I'm not a hermit," Miles told her with a huff.

Luna's smile went even bigger; she could almost feel her friend's pout. "Sure, you keep telling yourself that." Miles made a noise in indignant protest, and Luna rolled her eyes, still smiling. "I'll be there in ten minutes, okay?"

"Okay," Miles said. "See you soon."

"See you soon," Luna said.

Miles hung up, and Luna shoved her phone in her back pocket before stretching her arms up over her head. Then, she grabbed a few bills from the roll of cash that was stashed in one of the flower pots and left the Big House, stepping out into the cool evening air. As soon as she was outside, she waved her hand, and a taxi pulled up to the side of the road moments later.

"Brooklyn Apartments, East Brooklyn, please," Luna said once she climbed into the taxi. "And can it be kind of quick, I've got someplace to be."

"Sure thing, kid," the taxi driver said. Then, he pulled the car away from the curb and drove off.

"So what's this place you gotta be at?" the driver asked her after a moment. "You got a boyfriend you're meeting up with?"

Luna giggled. "No, no. He's my best friend, not my boyfriend. And besides, I don't like him like that."

"Hun, if you're rushing to meet a boy, then you like him as more than a friend, no matter what you tell yourself," the driver said.

Luna's cheeks grew warm, and she bit the inside of her cheek. She was certain that she didn't like Miles in any other way than friendship, but this man's words made it sound like she was lying to herself, even though she wasn't. Miles was her friend, nothing more.

Eventually they arrived at Miles' apartment. Luna paid the driver and thanked him, then got out of the car and walked up to the door. But just as she started to knock, Miles opened the door, a small frown on his face.

"You lied to me, you know," he said, crossing his arms.

Luna's heart skipped a beat, and panic began to set in; there was no way he could've found out about her double life so fast. "Wh-what are you talking about?" she asked.

"You said you'd be here in ten minutes," Miles told her, his frown fading and a grin spreading across his lips. "It's been eleven and a half."

Luna inwardly sighed in relief, but she masked it with a smile and a soft laugh. "I had no idea you'd be counting."

"Can I ask you something?" Miles asked

A few hours had passed, and the two friends had spent most of it playing video games and working on some designs for their art project. Now, they were relaxing on Miles' couch, watching Fresh Prince reruns and talking about their day. Luna was curled up right next to Miles, her knees hugged to her chest as she ate popcorn out of a bowl by her side.