Ch. 33 - Choices Only a Mother Can Make

For every good reason, there is to lie, there is a better reason, to tell the truth. - Bo Bennett

***

4 years later

March 17th

***

"Simon Gideon Reid, if you aren't out here in 20 seconds you are going to be late for school," I yelled from the kitchen while I fixed the small backpack on Brenna's back. Every day the same thing happened, I had no idea where Simon got the late gene from. I heard quick footsteps and then a flash of ginger curls as he slid into the kitchen.

"I'm ready, I'm ready. I was finishing my book mom." I leaned over and kissed his head as I handed him his backpack. I heard Spencer join us from behind me and wrap a hand around my shoulder. 

"What book was it this time?" His amused tone caused me to smile. 

"Astronomy for beginners, I found it on mom's side of the library." I smiled down at him and ran a hand through his messy curls. 

"Alright, let's get a move on or else all of us are going to be late." I started ushering all of us towards the front door. We made our way downstairs and into the SUV, I helped buckle them in while Spencer started the car. 

We made our way over to the private school, and we parked. We helped them out and started to walk them into the building. 

"Mr. and Mrs. Reid you made it just on time today." I smiled at the snarky front desk associate. 

"Well, serial killers don't stop killing just because we have to drop our children off at school," Spencer said from beside me as he signed them in. I placed a gentle kiss on each of their cheeks, and let them wrap their arms around my neck.

"Be good today. Grandma Beth will be picking you up from school today, do your homework, eat your lunch and be nice to your teacher." I felt a tugging at my heart as I said goodbye. Something that happened every day.

"Mom it's not our fault that Mrs. Brault is insecure in her teaching because we are 5-year-olds in her 2nd-grade class." Brenna shot back with confidence. 

"Brenna May what have I told you about reading our behavior analysis books?" I asked in dismay and also slight pride.

"That it shows that I'm proud of what my parents have accomplished and what they do, and one would argue I would want to be in the BAU when I grow up." Spencer and I both raised an eyebrow at each other. 

"We'll talk about this later, go have a good day. Go be exceptional, I love you." Spencer kissed their cheeks. 

"I love you both." We stood up and started to turn to leave.

"I LOVE YOU TOO" They both screamed as we walked out the front door. His hand slid into mine as we got back into the SUV. 

"We may have a future profiler on our hands...a 3rd generation at that." I chuckled. The drive from the school to Quantico was short, only 6 minutes at that depending on traffic.

"I think Simon may want to work for NASA, I found him watching a documentary on what it's like to work there the other night." I felt my heart swell at that. My own little astronaut. 

***

"Alright, crimefighters pack your bags for illuminating Indianapolis, for we have terrible no good unsub who is breaking into homes, kidnapping the youngest child and then 4 days later killing them." A small choked sound escaped from JJ and I. We both looked at each other and grimaced. I thought about Michael and how he was barely 3 1/2, and then I thought about the twins.