Chapter Thirty-Four: Ciaran

Start from the beginning

Ruari is too invested on this situation and his judgment might a bit clouded. He won't be able to see things for what they really are. But I'm an outsider and I could easily view the situation on entirely different perspective.

I bet the dispute between the two mates ignited all over again after Ruari and Kevan were born. Only this time Lavon Ulfric had no other choice.  He was forced to chose which one of his mates he wanted to keep. Or maybe he wasn't given a choice at all.

This is nothing but supposition. Call me skeptical if you like but I highly doubt Cassandra Lyall stole Ruari after Alessandra died. Why would she take him away from his rightful place at court when he was the greatest legacy of her most beloved sister? If I have to be brutally honest, I would say Ruari was sent away.

I doubt I could prove that theory but it's the only explanation that makes complete sense. Because if the royals really wanted to find Ruari it would not take them 21 years to do so. And I'm sure Kevan has the same suspicion otherwise he wouldn't have stressed the issue of Ruari's patrimony and right to challenge the crown for the position of alpha king.

I'm not blind. I may not have the same empathy Ruari has for his brother but I could clearly see that Kevan Ulfric despises Lavon and most of the royals at court. The companions that accompanied him on his journey to Moonscape are probably the only people that he trusts implicitly.

I can't say I blame him.

After I become alpha I've seen first hand how much havoc a greed of a royal could wreak. They would wipe out an entire pack and destroy hundreds of lives just to get what they want.

I've always disapproved of how royals behaved towards insignificant people that doesn't have much to offer the crown. And worse towards packs that could barely defend themselves.

Royals often forget they wouldn't survive without those who slave day in and day out under them. They are all, by nature, always hungry for something more. Wealth, power, authority and territory, even people. No matter what they get their greedy hands on, in their eyes, it's never enough.

I'm sure Ruari is shocked to find out that he has other siblings aside from Kevan.

I've met the alpha king Meinor, once, after I took over as alpha of Moonscape. It was still Lavon's reign at the time but Meinor was the one entertaining at the palace as part of his training for the position of alpha king.

I don't know how or why but I was selected for a screening to be Alva's mate. Of course, I declined the invitation and informed the high council that I already found my true mate.

But once it got out that Ruari wasn't staying with me I was 'invited' again. The Moonscape pack council thought it was more prudent to accept after the second summons arrived, to pay my respects and just show myself at court so the royals would leave the pack alone.

I didn't encounter Kevan during my time at court but I heard whispers about a bastard son who was travelling and idling his life away. I didn't pay much attention to politics among royals and I hated gossip. All I ever wanted to do while I was there was to leave and go back to Moonscape. I stayed for no more than a week and was glad when I was allowed to leave. The atmosphere in the palace suffocated me and I never wanted to go back.

I hoped never to get mixed up with royals again but now they've found their way here...

"I'm not going to challenge anyone! I have no desire to be alpha king!" Ruari screamed. "Is that why you're here?"

He was enraged. His mismatched eyes were glowing bright. I've never seen Ruari this angry before.

The hairs on the back of my neck stood as pure and intense rage rolled off of him. The force of it was so strong it was more than intimidating. It's unbelievable how much sinister aura he could exude just by standing there.