Chapter Three: Ciaran

pix of Ciaran ----->

nyahaha i changed the pic to one where he looked more like a cutie than toughie >_<

*  *  *  *  *

It felt good to finally have him secured in my arms.

When Lorcan told me Ruari managed to escape them earlier I felt like I was going to explode. Keiron, my wolf, was growling in annoyance telling me we should have gone to personally pick him up.

I know why he doesn't want to return to the pack and I understand why he felt the need to run away. We treated him badly, me most of all. I'm his mate, his other half. I should be the one to protect him, to love and cherish him. But instead of doing all that I told him I wished he were dead.

I remember the day of Ruari's sixteenth birthday. None of us knew because most of the pack treated him like he was nothing. I didn't know the extent of the cruelty until he was already gone. I was sure they were just making fun of him for being a runt. And back then, as the son of the alpha, it was beneath my notice. I heard the stories but didn't do anything about it because I never knew him, not personally at least. I'm afraid to admit, back then, I didn't care about anyone but myself.

I was a brat at eighteen. When I was made alpha I loved the authority and the power that comes with the title. I grew up spoiled thinking my needs come first above others. I'm well liked and get anyone or anything that I wanted without much difficulty or effort. And people fawning over me all the time because of my looks and status didn't help my already inflated ego.

Ruari's sixteenth birthday was the first day I got back from Alpha Academy. The pack was preparing for my induction ceremony and it was the first time in three years that I'm stepping on pack lands.

I was sent to the academy at fifteen to make sure I'm mentally and physically prepared to take my responsibilities as pack leader and at the same time to prevent me from marking anyone since I've been showing signs of dominance and aggressiveness towards the unmated females of the pack.

As alpha any unmated female could be pledged to me. I can mark them as my own and still claim my mate if or when she appears. But to avoid conflict within the pack, since I choose high-ranking females to mess around with, I was sent to Alpha Academy to control or at least learn to tamper my dominant urges. They made me stay there for three years with Lorcan since he was going to be my beta.

That day I felt charged like something important was going to happen and my wolf was jumping around happily which was very unusual because Keiron never shows excessive emotion unless he wants to tear someone's throat out. Being the arrogant ass that I was, I ignored my heightened emotions thinking it's just the effect of finally being able to come home. I missed the pack and most of all I missed the land, though I would be dead first before I admit it to anyone.

Everything was perfect in my world until Ruari came around the living room, where I was chatting with some of the pack members, and yelped 'mate' excitedly. I was horrified. Forget the fact that he's the lowest ranking wolf in the pack he's a male for fuck's sake!  

I wasn't gay. I was 100% sure of that. It's fact. I enjoy sex with females too much to ever consider myself being gay. My wolf, though, didn't agree with me. He took one look at Ruari and thought he was beautiful. Perfect. Keiron was purring in delight telling me he was who we needed in our life to keep us balanced and in line.

I hated it, not Ruari but the situation. I just got a taste of freedom for the first time in three years. I was just became alpha for goodness sake! Then suddenly a mate whom I'm not certain I'd claim is thrust upon me by fate. I wanted some time to soak up the glory of being a pack leader and I didn't want the baggage of a troublesome mate. And Ruari had trouble written all over him. Besides whoever heard of a male Luna? I didn't want him. I'd rather be mateless than become a laughingstock of the whole pack!