crashed | eighteen

It was around 7 at night as Kelliana was stuck in her room revising her study notes for her maths test. She groans at the large amount of content she had to cover up as this test was an assignment and weighted 35% towards her final grade.

As she revises her financial math notes, her door opens to reveal her mother all dolled up in an evening dress.

"Hey sweetie", she smiles at her as Kelliana was stunned at her appearance.

"Wow mom, you look good. What's the occasion?", Kelliana asks as she puts the pen down and twists her chair to face her as she enters her room.

"I'm having dinner with my client and a few work friends. I'll be back a bit late tonight, at least 10, okay?"

Kelliana nods, "sure. I'll just be here, studying", she grumbles as she points towards the clutter of sticky notes and papers on her desk.

Her mother gives her a light chuckle, a grin displayed on her matte-red lips.  "Did you want me to get you anything when I come back?"

Kelliana ponders for a second. "Strawberry cheesecake?"

Her mom smiles back at her. "Of course", she says, her hand securely wrapped around her purse strap as she points behind her, slightly walking back out. "Well there's steak in the fridge if you get hungry. Bye sweetie!", she exclaims as she waves before she heads out, Kelliana yelling back after her.

"Bye!", she shouts as her bedroom door closes and a few minutes later she hears the front door close, and a text from her mother saying she locked the doors.

Kelliana puts her phone back down and innerly groans at the heavy workload she has for a Friday night when she should be out, having fun. Luckily for her, she managed to get over her procrastination hence why she's one of the top students in her grade and why she's a member of the SRC and a prefect.

It's been an hour through studying but she was only halfway done. Kelliana's eyes begin to get drowsy as she struggles to keep them open, her hand holding a pastel highlighter over the textbook then the words become blurry.

She jumps in her seat when she nearly dozed off and she heaves a big yawn, patting her mouth. She didn't realize how tired she was.

Promising to only sleep for a few minutes, she lays her head on the desk and dozes off to sleep straight away and was in deep.

The next thing she knows, she wakes up to the blaring sound of her phone, lifting her head and seeing the calling slide flashing before her drowsy slits on her screen.

Mumbling incoherently she slides to call and puts the phone up to her ear without looking at the contact name and answers it.

"Hello?..", Kelliana says groggily, her fingers softly rubbing her eyes to waken herself up.

At first she couldn't hear anything so she repeated herself, slowly getting grumpy at the silence and at her tiredness. She just wanted to hop back in her bed and shut her eyes.

Sighing, she was about to hang up until she finally hears someone speak, her name being their response.

She frowns, not immediately recognizing the voice. That's when she pulls back the phone and looks at the contact name and was surprised to see that it was Uriah.

She returns the phone back to her ear, now more awake than before with a frown on her face. "Uriah?", she says into the phone, "why'd you call?"