prologue [tea]

"Ah, you're here."

Oh great, I'm back again.

"Always a pleasure to see you, Old Meng." I smiled, noticing the sorrow and disappointment on the old woman's face. I can't help but feel guilty, all she ever did was encourage me to choose the right path.

She shook her head in exasperation. "This child-- after nine hundred ninety-nine lifetimes you still end up with the same tragedy. When will you ever learn?"

I looked around the white room, not meeting her gaze. I chose the little white table in front of me as the most interesting point of focus for now. Shit, I don't wanna cry.

"Old Meng, you know why." I sighed, tracing the patterns on the teacup before me. "The hope of changing my fate lingers with every single memory I retain."

"And yet, here you are."

I kept quiet as she looked at me for a good minute, those brownish-black irises carrying a hint of understanding. She was always like this. One look at you and she knows what you've been through along with all your reasonings.

I mean she's basically a goddess.

I looked at the teapot placed on the table, wondering how the tea inside would taste. In all my nine hundred ninety-nine lifetimes, I've always rejected Old Meng's tea--for my own selfish reasons of course--and every time she would always tell me that my choice would only lead to more pain. I didn't believe her the first few lifetimes but goddamn life-38 really messed me up.

"Old Meng," I started, finally gaining the courage to face her. "I'll drink the tea this time."

Suddenly, she had the brightest smile on her face. Her aura shining as she couldn't contain her happiness. She held the teapot with her dainty hands, one on the handle and the other at the top, then with grace akin to a swan she poured tea into my cup. The translucent liquid flowing as I notice a faint jasmine scent.

This is it. I thought. There's no turning back now

I held the teacup with both hands, staring at my reflection. Hesitation was slowly filling my heart, countless 'what-ifs' soaring through my mind. I steeled myself and with one big gulp, I finally drank the tea that would make me forget everything.

I suddenly felt my hand being grasped, the softness of Old Meng's hand was something I can never dream to have. She looked at me with such soft eyes I could cry. I knew she was ecstatic, I finally let go of all my lifetimes and decided to start anew.

"I wish you the best Athalia," She tightened her hold. "Now, close your eyes and count to three. I'll give you a parting gift as well."

I know Old Meng wouldn't do anything to harm me, I closed my eyes and started counting to three.

One.

Images rapidly going through my mind, they're too fast for me to see.

Two.

Oh! That's my original life! The first time I met...

Three.

Wait-- Who did I meet?

--

an: Thank you so much for giving this book a try! (even though it's still the prologue) As stated in the description this is my first book so if you find mistakes please do call me out! See you in the next chapter!