Chapter 15 - Introductions

Start from the beginning

This woman is One Direction’s makeup artist, Havi managed to get her doing my hair and makeup for today’s premiere. Oh yeah, today is the day when I’m finally introduced as Liam Payne’s girlfriend.

Oh joy!

I see on the mirror Havi approaching us with a big smile.

“Belle, you look amazing!” she chirps and I smile at her through the mirror. In her arms she has the dress we bought together. “Now let’s put this on and you’ll be ready to go. The lads are waiting outside so you can meet them all before we leave to the red carpet.”

Havi is ready to go, with a black dress she looks professional and elegant, the only bright thing in her are her shiny eyes and red lipstick… and my white dress in her arms.

I stand up, the makeup artist and Havi help me to get rid of the shorts and tee I was wearing so my dress wouldn’t wrinkle or get stained. Together we work on putting on the dress without ruining my hair or makeup. After a few minutes I’m all done and I take one last look in the mirror. I look like a Greek goddess and I can’t fight the smile on my lips. My hair pulled up makes the dress stand out even more in all its glory and elegance. I imagined this but I never thought it would end up so well. I’m fascinated and impressed.

“If I were the protagonist of the film, I would be totally worried you outshine me,” Havi comments and we laugh.

I’m nothing but Liam’s girlfriend and maybe it’s stupid to work so hard on looking great when I have no part in the film, but Liam wants attention, he wants the media to see him and his girlfriend. This is because he looks for acceptance, even for the people he chooses to be with.

Speaking of whom, I haven’t talked to him since our date. I haven’t answered his calls or texts. Unless it is something work related, I have no interest in talking to him.

“Okay, it’s time to go,” Havi says and I smile at her. I grab the purse I’ve chosen to match the outfit. It’s a red envelope to match my lips, but all the other accesories are golden.

We say goodbye to the makeup artist and Havi leads me outside this room. So far I’ve only met Harry and he’s a nice bloke, so charming and polite, nothing like Liam. I wonder if Liam’s other band mates are like Harry or more like him. I’ve only seen their pictures and listened to their songs, I didn’t even pay attention to them during the interviews and who knows, they might’ve changed, too.

We step inside another room with sofas, a telly connected to a game console—Xbox one—and a table with snacks. In the room there are five men and other three girls. I see Harry and Liam, the last one doesn’t even look in my direction, he’s too focused playing Call of Duty. The other boys turn and look at us.

“Belle!” Harry chirps and walks up to me, dragging one of the girls in the room with him. She’s not Ariel. “You look amazing. Wow!”

“Thank you,” I reply with a smile of my own. He looks amazing, too, in a dark suit with a dark shirt with a weird pattern. It’s not something I would like, but he pulls it off.

“This is my sister Gemma,” he introduces to me the girl by his side. She has features like Harry’s, but hers are softer, more feminine.

“Nice to meet you,” we say in unison. I’m about to ask him about Ariel when I remember their relationship is secret, none of them wants the media to find out they are together and they don’t want her career tied to his.

I look past Harry to see Liam finally looking at me, his expression blank and I can’t tell what he’s thinking. I stand taller and proud, just to show him I’m a professional. I’m not, but I’m doing this seriously so I might as well be one.

I didn’t notice the other band members approaching until Havi speaks. “Lads, this is Belle, Liam’s girlfriend,” she says and I chuckle because shouldn’t be the boyfriend doing the introductions? “Belle, these are Zayn, Louis and Niall.”

“Nice to meet you, Belle,” says Niall, the blond one with a very energetic smile. He’s the only one who’s alone.

“Hello,” says Louis, the other brunet in the band. He’s the shortest one and his features are sharp and a bit arrogant, but his smile is honest. By his side there’s a gorgeous girl, brunette as well with a precious smile. “This is my girlfriend Eleanor,” he introduces like Liam should do with me but oh well, it doesn’t matter because everyone here knows it’s all fake.

“Hi, how’re you doing? Nervous?” asks the other boy, Zayn, a black-haired boy with the most exquisite features I’ve seen, warm brown eyes and a killer smile. He is beautiful. Seriously, why couldn’t he be the one asking for a girlfriend? “This is my wife, Perrie,” he adds. Oh, that’s why. He’s totally taken.

Perrie is another celebrity, she’s in a girl group, for all what I know. Blonde and with a killer body. Zayn keeps her close, with his arm around her waist as if he were afraid she might get lost. I’m pretty sure they are newly wed, they look like that.

“Hello, Belle. It’s a pleasure to meet you,” she says and I reply with something similar.

“Are you nervous ‘cos of the premiere?” Zayn asks and I notice how the other band members step away, including Harry and his sister. Even Havi leaves to go and talk to Liam about I don’t know what. Only Zayn and Perrie stay with me.

“A bit,” I reply with a small smile. I’m trying to take everything in as calmly as I can, but still, who wouldn’t be nervous knowing that all eyes will be on them?

“Don’t worry, it’s faster than you think. A couple of questions, a few pictures and off you go ‘cos there’re too many others behind. What you gotta look forward is the after party. Those are cool,” explains Zayn and I smile. “I know Liam wants everyone to see you but if you’re uncomfortable you just have to say it, he can’t force you.”

“He kind of can,” I intervene. “I signed a contract.”

“He still can’t force you to do something you don’t want to, right?” Perrie inquires and it’s true, I made sure the contract stated he couldn't force me to do things against my will.

“Don’t worry, Belle. If you need anything we’ll be there as well,” Zayn reminds me and my smile is automatic, grateful and relieved.

Liam’s band mates are nice and caring, especially Zayn. Why is only him the one who became a jerk? Harry, Niall, Louis and Zayn all seem down to earth people, grateful and kind. I guess fame doesn’t affect everyone in the same way.

Havi is back and this time she brings Liam with her. “It’s time we go,” she reminds us all and everyone starts moving.

I look at Liam with my most dignified expression but he still looks blankly at me. I try to stand taller and he looks at me from head to toe. I remember he disapproved of the dress, probably he’s still pissed at that.

“You look great,” he says and I blink in surprise. Did he really say that? I was honestly expecting him to say I should’ve chosen another dress.

“Th-thanks,” I say, still dumbfounded.

He only nods before offering me his arm, which I take. “Don’t worry about today, leave it to me. Just make sure to smile and look pretty,” he reminds me and we start walking.

Smile and look pretty. That’s why he’s taking me with him, but I’ll teach him I can be the perfect girlfriend and I’ll handle it all better than him. I can pretend, too, and better than him.

Just you wait, Liam Payne. Just you wait.

-:-:-

*suddenly starts singing Just You Wait from MY Fair Lady* Okay, you got the 1K votes and I'm updating real quick 'cos I gotta go back to work. The dress is on the multimedia in case you forgot how it looked like.

Bel, xx