26: Wings

Active Child - Hanging On

___________________

They were huge.

They were way bigger than his body. I think the width of one wing stretched out was the length of a ten foot tree.

His wings stretched out to a further length and vibrated as if stretching from a nice night's sleep. A few feathers fluttered to the ground.

The tips of his wings were jet black. The rest of his wings however were turning into a dark grey with some traces of white near his shoulders.

They were so... Unreal. He furled his wings into his back and continued to watch me.
I started to walk forward on my shaky legs. He remained unmoved as I made my way over to him. My eyes stayed on his wings. His feathery, gorgeous, beautiful wings.

I stopped a fair distance away from him and watched his wings unfurl once again. They looked even more intimidating up close.

My arm rose up and I took another step forward. He didn't move as I got closer to his wings. I wanted to touch them. I wanted to feel the texture of them.

So I did.

My hand was enveloped in warmth and softness. I felt that same feeling I felt that day I picked up his feather.

Safe.

But the feeling was intensified now that I knew what/who it belonged to.

I stroked the length of his wing and had the pleasure of feeling him shiver underneath my touch.
I turned my head toward him and smiled. "Your wings are... Beautiful."

He turned his head to the floor with a smile. "I didn't think you would be so composed."

I walked back along his wing until I was standing in front of him. "You're beautiful." I repeated.

He shook his head with a smile. "I'm not beautiful, Alexis."

I wrapped my arms around his neck. "Yeah you sort of are."

His wings suddenly encircled around the both of us, surrounding us in a warm feathery cocoon.
"You're beautiful, Lexie. This isn't normal."

I shook my head. "I know it's not normal. But Gabriel, honestly with all of the stuff I've been through, would I care if it was not normal?"

A tender smile lit up his face. "I thought you would be scared."

"I'm far from scared. A little shaken yes, but I'm not scared of you."

He pecked me on the lips. "Good."

I captured his lips in mine. I couldn't get enough of him already. It felt like I needed a fill of him for today and maybe somehow be satisfied until tomorrow.

He tightened his arms around me and the warm cocoon of his wings unfurled. 

He kissed along my jaw until he was at my ear. "Hold on to me," He whispered.

My eyes widened. "W-what?!"

Before I could even protest, his wings started to vibrate harder. I could hear the sound of the wind being pushed back away from us. It gave off an unfamiliar humming sound. Soon enough we were moving a little further and further into the air. My feet dangled uselessly beneath me.

"Oh my God... Gabe, I'm wearing a dress!" I clung onto his neck.

He chuckled. "Hold on,"

His wings started to flap faster. I shut my eyes as I got that horrible feeling you get when you go up on a roller coaster. We were going so fast it was getting harder to keep my arms around Gabriel's neck. Luckily, he was holding onto me with a death grip.

I could almost feel the weight of his wings as he flew up. They must weigh a ton. I'm guessing he's freakishly strong.

I could feel his wings start to flap slower until it was in a slow vibration. I opened one eye and gasped. My arms tightened around his neck. 

I couldn't believe how high up we were. We were above the clouds and the night's sky looked like it was in touching distance.

"Wow..." I mumbled.

"I know,"

"Is this heaven?" I asked him looking down hesitantly.

He smiled. "No. Heaven isn't here. It's much, much further than this."

"If you let me fall I'll kick your ass,"

He laughed and pressed his soft lips to my throat.