14: Feather

_______________________________

"Alexis," Gabriel sat up. "Where did you learn that word?" He said as if I were a dumbass.

I rolled my eyes. "A couple of weeks ago, the word sort of popped into my head. It might have had something to do with your friend's maybe?"

His eyes flashed into a dark scowl but then he composed himself. "What friends?"

I tutted. "Seriously? Even though you did erase my memory, I remembered you talking to them. I'll ask you about them later. But right now I want to know what Nephilim means."

He shook his head and stood up. He offered me his hand and I took it. "I don't know." He said quite convincingly. I would have believed him, if I didn't know him.

"I'm not an idiot, Gabe, what does it mean?"

We started walking out of my room. "It doesn't matter, Lexie, the time still isn't right."

"Are you serious?" I scoffed. "Three weeks. That's how long it's been since I've heard that damned word. I haven't done anything about it, obviously, but now I have a feeling you know something about the word." He walked ahead of me downstairs and into the kitchen. "These guys started talking about how you shouldn't have interfered blah blah blah. Who were they anyway-"

Gabriel stopped abruptly and turned around causing me to bang face first into his chest.

"Alexis, honey," He put his hands on my shoulders and bent down slightly so his face was in front of mine. His light blue eyes bore into me. "I don't want to talk about who I was talking to. And neither do I want to discuss what that word means, do you understand?"

I nodded and swallowed. He looked quite intimidating and to be honest, a little bit scary.

He led me outside and walked around my pool into the back yard. He stopped in the middle of the yard and took my hand.

"Gabriel," I walked around him until I was standing in front of him. "I know it's only a word but I have this weird feeling that it's important."

He stared up into the sky as he said, "Have you ever felt like you're alone in this world?"

I raised a brow. What has this got to do with anything?

He glanced down at me. "Have you?"

I sighed. "Once," I took a step forward and stared up with him. The sky was a sweet orange colour from the descending sun. "I guess everyone does at some point in their life. You feel like there's no one that knows you. Understands you. Gets you."

He looked back down at me with a soft expression. His hand came out of nowhere and moved my hair behind my ear. "Tell me if you ever feel like that again."

His warm fingers brushed against my cheek sending those weird tingles coursing through me. I tried pushing out any irrelevant thoughts like jumping on him.

I nodded. "Do you?"

He dropped his hand and looked back up. "In a completely different way to you, yes. I'm alone in different ways."

I shook my head. "No, you're not," I took an involuntary step forward and put my hand on his chest. "Your family's here. Your friend's are here. You'll never be alone... I'm here."

His head tilted down to look at me.

His jaw clenched the slightest. He placed his hand on my neck and lowered his head.

My body was screaming for me to do it, thanks to the stupid emotional hijack, but my head was fighting so hard, it started to hurt.

I held in a whimper.