The Girl & The Bricks

Start from the beginning

A promise is a promise, so I'll let him take the lead on scouting my new employees. There's only a few ideas I want to run by him.

In no time, my teeth are brushed, face is washed and hair is done. I slip on a pair of grey sweats and a tank top with my black Nike Forces. Today reeks of taking care of business, so there's no need to dress up for the occasion.

On my way out of my room, I double back to check on Paryis. In the short time I was getting dressed, the pillows were strewn over the floor and the blankets pushed away from her. Her teddy bear sits abandoned on the floor. Ipick her stuffed animal up to lay beside her. I'm tucking the bear into her arms when the black markings on the chest of the bear catch my attention.

"To my favorite girl. Happy VDay -Ace" is embroidered on the bear's white chest. I didn't realize this was the bear she kept by her side. My heart falls into my stomach. No matter how wide I leave my door open, I'll never be the big brother she needs to feel safe.

I put the bear next to her anyway. I hit the lights on my way out. If I couldn't be what Paryis wanted, then I'm determined to be what she needs.

Her tiny brain can't process the stress of paying bills. And she shouldn't have to. I'm gonna make sure she never has to upset her little mind with more adult matters than she already has to deal with.

...

Marcus, our financial advisor, seems surprised when he comes in the waiting room and finds me sitting there. He's white, average height and has dark hair turning white at the roots. He wears Tom Ford glasses, an expensive blue suit and a plastic smile. I'm sure his smile would be warmer if his payments didn't abruptly stop when Ace left. I don't expect that smile to return just 'cause I'm here. The few thousands I have in my purse can't afford his business by a long shot. But he's who my daddy trusted, who Ace trusted so now I'm hoping he'll trust me.

"Ms. Ortiz?" He asks.

I rise from the leather armchair. He unclasps his hands and reaches one out to me. I shake it, noticing how he squints at my outfit.

"You seem pretty young to be Mrs. Rochelle Ortiz, so I'm assuming you're her daughter. Candyce, is it?"

"Yes. My mother couldn't make it today. Neither could my brother, Ace. He's out of town right now so I'm in charge of our affairs at the moment."

"I understand. Can you follow me to my office?" He asks.

He leads me down a wide hallway to the first open door on our right. He ushers me in and closes the door behind us. I take a seat in the chair across from his desk, while he sits in the leather chair on the other side.

I waste no time getting to business.

"So, I'm sure you realize our family business has stalled for the time being. It's the reason why Ace isn't here right now and why your payments have stopped," I say.

Marcus leans back in his chair and folds one leg over his knee.

"I can understand how a business like your family's could run into some brick walls. Fortunately, walls can be knocked down, Ms. Ortiz. Of course that depends on who's responsible for putting the wall there in the first place."

I think carefully before I respond. He clearly knows what line of work our family is in. That's good. I figured as much but I didn't want to assume anything. Him knowing makes everything a lot easier. Hopefully he understands how quickly money can be made in our business. He must have some idea cause he's the one who dealt with Daddy's assets after he died. We never heard of Marcus until then, but he kept his loyalty to my dad by divvying up the money exactly how he asked. As far as I know, he never stole a penny from us. He left his business cards with Mama, who threw it away out of anger. Ace found it in the trash and kept it in his room. I never had reason to snoop in his room to find it until now. I'm only hoping I say the right things to get us his help again.