TEN

HARRY

The picture was everywhere. 

Clementine was tiny in comparison to Harry, her doe eyes looking up into his as she smiled happily, a similar look on his face. To the outsider it looked as if they were infatuated with each other when in reality it was just a harmless friendship that was just beginning to blossom.

 He had to admit the picture was very incriminating which was why Harry was sitting on face time with his mother and Gemma being interrogated. "I just met her a couple weeks ago, she's nice to talk to and we are just friends that is all," Harry asserts and Gemma rolls her eyes in annoyance. 

"Whatever...when we come up for Christmas we will be properly meeting her," she points a finger and he feels a pang of nervousness shoot up his stomach. He wasn't sure whether he wanted to mix all his realities yet but he was certain Gemma wouldn't give him an option. 

He nod sheepishly and Gemma immediately smirks, "And if you're not dating by then mom will owe me fifty bucks," Harry groans placing his head in his hands before telling them he needed to go. 

Saying his goodbyes he easily stood to get dressed in the leopard print suit hanging on the back of his door, "Ready?," Harry nods at Jack who notices a slight change in Harry's normal dreary demeanor. A small smile lighting up his face as he walked to the stage to record the song for a late night show. 

He was singing a song he had written for the girl who ripped his heart out but it seemed to have a new meaning now that Clementine had entered his world. Harry finally felt as if he could be happy without her, happy with the small group of friends and family he had. "This is called Adore You," he smiles as the audience screams.

Across town Clementine was yet again in a heated exchange with Max who was inches away from her small stature, this time holding her ground. The other two Diner employees watched in horror as they came head to head again, Rashaad ready to step in if Max got physical like he was known to do. 

Rashaad was Claire's daughter and someone Clementine really enjoyed to be around, they had gone to school together and he was a pleasant person. Although Max never seemed to think so, it was actually one of the reasons Clementine hated Max, he was racist.

"Max I don't know why you think you can hit Jonathan or yell at customers but let me make this clear. I do not want you here so do one more thing and the cops will be the ones dragging you out of here," her voice is steady and yet Max still lets a laugh wrack his body at her threat. 

He wasn't afraid of her threats and he wanted her to know he was in control, "Little Clem gets really brave when people are around to save her," he pats her head like she was a dog, her face burning red with anger. 

Claire and her son Rashaad both knew about the situation that arose when Clementine and Max were dating, the bruise on her cheek bone for weeks was a reminder. Clementine's mother, weak and frail, chased him out of their building while hitting him with an old newspaper. 

He continued to abuse Clementine every chance he got, and she continued to take it each time because she didn't have anyone else. Her mother was dying and she was desperate to have anyone around that could either help or keep her sane. He was the only one who stayed. 

"Listen here you inbred-," Clementine shrieks as the kindest person in the room, Claire, starts to speak in a derogatory way. Her mother's motto was burning deep in her mind as she told the old woman not to stoop to his level, she was so much better than him. 

Max gives them all a glare before he disappears from view, Clementine resting her forehead on the counter top as she lets the fear go from her body. She was afraid of men and afraid when they got angry mostly, it always felt like her fault when he hit her. And maybe it was.

"Honey, it's okay," Claire rubs the blondes back as tears begin to fall, dripping onto the counter top as she hid her face. "Don't let him get to you."

It was so hard not to. Not to let the abuser who has had the upper-hand for years bother her when she knew exactly what he was capable of. She didn't want to date and marriage for her was off limits, love wasn't for everyone and she almost felt like she didn't deserve it. 

Not everyone got a happy ending and it seemed as if God was giving her every sign that Max was the only destiny that waited for her. She wouldn't allow it. 

She pushed herself away from the counter and wiped her eyes as she smiled at the two employees, "Thank you both for being incredible," she gave them a sincere grin before moving toward the bathroom to clean herself up. 

"He does not control you anymore," her voice was shaky and her puffy, red eyes stared back at her in contrast. She wished he would disappear, just completely wipe himself out from her life so she could breathe without being terrified at work. His temper was dangerous and so was his drinking. 

She threw some cold water on her face and took a deep breath before going to face the lunch hour at her business. 

"Mom give me some strength," Clementine whispers as she looks at the beautiful frame holding an image from the newspaper. Shaking hands with the Mayor of New York who came to eat at the diner when it first opened, the famous orange scarf tied around her bald head. 

Clementine was determined to succeed for that woman in the picture.