CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

THREE MONTHS LATER

THREE MONTHS LATER

"Are you gonna go?" Steve asks, throwing on his vest, "I have to pick up Robin either way."

My eyes trail over to Steve as I lay on his bed, "Yeah. I'm going."

"Great!" Steve smiles, "Come on, then."

I groan as I lift myself off the soft cushion of Steve's bed, following him out to his car.

"Sucks that I can't be there." Steve sighs, "But, tell them all I said bye."

"Yeah, I definitely will." I obviously lie, looking out the window.

"What! Why not?" Steve turns to me, glaring.

"I said I will!" I argue playfully.

"You're clearly lying!" Steve accuses.

"I'd never!" I deny.

"You are the worst liar in history." Steve claims.

"Just drive." I order, chuckling.

Steve starts the engine of his car, driving off. We arrive at Robin's house a short ride later, and she climbs into the backseat, "Hey Em, hey doofus."

Steve rolls his eyes, "You ready, Robin?"

"Of course, I'll persuade Keith to let us work there like this." She snaps her fingers, and a faint smile appears on my face.

"Do you need me to pick you up after?" Steve questions.

"No, I'll be fine." I shake my head, my hands moving up to clutch the Saint Christopher necklace that hung around my neck, "I'll just go with Nancy."

Steve looks down at his lap, before going back to the road, "Okay."

Steve drops me off at the Byers residence, and my eyes were already watering when I saw the moving truck, and the boxes that were scattered across the lawn.

"Emmie, you came." Joyce greets, pulling me in for a hug.

As I pull away, I smile, "I sure did."

Joyce runs her hands up and down my arms, frowning, "I know this must be hard for you, with what happened to B-"

"Mom! A little help here!" Jonathan shouts, him and Nancy hauling a heavy bureau.