Chapter 15: The First Fight

A huge, rambling, scary-looking castle appeared before Harry's eyes. It was magnificent, albeit a bit jumbled here and there, but all in all, there was nothing to disparage. It stood atop a rocky cliff, giving off a sense of impenetrability. 

Somewhere along the way, Harry heard quiet sniffing once or twice. He listened carefully for a while before turned to see who was making that noise. A round-faced boy sitting in the corner of the boat on his left was trying to wipe his tears away. Harry curiously tilted his head just as the boy was looking up. Harry quietly mouthed "What's wrong?" to the boy, and got a "Lost my toad" in return. Harry nodded in confirm and looked around. A toad wouldn't be too hard for him to find.

- HEADS DOWN! - yelled Hagrid as the first boats reached the cliff. They all bent their heads and the little boats carried them through a curtain of ivy that hid a wide opening in the cliff face. They travelled along a dark tunnel, which seemed to be taking them right underneath the castle, until they reached a kind of underground harbour, where they clambered out on to rocks and pebbles.

Harry was about to step out of his boat when he felt something moved under the bench he was sitting on. He bent down and saw a green warty toad hopping around. He carefully took out a handkerchief, wrapped it around the toad and picked him up. He jumped out of the boat and looked for the round-faced boy. Harry scrunched his face when he saw the boy was standing beside Juliet and her group of friends. Just then, he felt a light tap on his shoulder:

- Harry? Is something wrong? 

It was Hagrid. Harry's face lightened up. He wasn't going to go near that pain in the neck, but he wasn't going to keep the toad either. He didn't like toads. 

- Hagrid? Could you give this toad to the boy standing by the tree, please?

Hagrid smiled kindly:

- Of course, Harry. - He then turned to the boy. - Oy, you there! Is this yer toad?

The boy's face brightened. He dashed to Hagrid and scooped the toad in his hands.

- Trevor! - The boy cried blissfully. - Thank you so much.

- Don' thank me. Thank Harry. He's the one who found yer toad.

The round-faced boy turned and broke into a sincere smile:

- Thank you, Harry. This toad was a gift from my grandmother. I don't want her to be upset. I'm Neville, by the way.

-  No problem, Neville. Just doing what I can. It is very nice to see you but I have to be elsewhere.

- Okay, nice seeing you, Harry.

Neville waved goodbye and Harry finally reunited with Draco, who was standing near the very edge of the lake. Then they clambered up a passageway in the rock after Hagrid's lamp, coming out at last on to the smooth, damp grass right in the shadow of the castle.

They walked up a flight of stone steps and crowded around the huge, oak front door.

- Everyone here? You there, still got yer toad?

Hagrid raised his gigantic fist and knocked three times on the door.

The door swung open at once. A tall black-haired witch in emerald-green robes stood there. She had a very stern face and Harry's first thought was that this was not someone to cross.

- The firs' years, professor McGonagall. - said Hagrid.

- Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here.

She pulled the door wide. The Entrance Hall was very big, Harry thought it was about twice the size of the Manor's halls. The stone walls were lit with flaming torches, the ceiling was too high to make out, and a magnificent marble staircase facing them led to the upper floors.