28 - The Regeneration

I was sat in the console room shaking my head at the front page of the Leadworth Chronicle. "They're crazy." I state as the Doctor walks in and over to me curiously, taking the paper from my hands.
"Leadworth's Crop Circle." He reads aloud. "Well they've got our attention, wouldn't exactly call those crop circles though." He says referring to the fact 'Doctor' was written in huge letters in a field. "If we go now we could call Ryan and find out where he is and pick him up." The Doctor suggests already putting in the coordinates. I walk over and put my hand on top of his, stopping him.
"No, remember he was saying that he left because we really need his help in the future, we can do this one by ourselves." I assure him as I set in the coordinates for the crop field.
"Are you sure you're okay, Mackenzie?" The Doctor asks wrapping his arms around me from behind.
"It's already healed, and I don't feel any different, so let's go." I tell him, turning around and pecking him quickly on the lips before making the Tardis set off towards our destination. We'd talked about what had happened at Demon's Row, we'd done a full body scan through the Tardis, tests had been done, blood drawn, nothing seemed off and so I had decided to let it be nothing. It wasn't going to affect me, this body, so why let it?

It only takes a minute as we land in the centre of the 'O' in time to walk out and see Amy and Rory's car approaching fast. The Doctor holds up the paper and when they get out I put my hands on my hips and give them a disapproving look. "Seriously?" I ask.
"Well, you never answer your phone." Rory defends their reasoning.
"Okay, you've had all Summer. Have you found her? Have you found Melody?" Amy asks as we walk over to them.
"Permission?" The Doctor asks.
"Granted." Rory replies stingily as I laugh at his disliking and hug him as the Doctor hugs Amy and reassures her.
"You know who she grows up to be, so you know we will find her." The Doctor says to her as I let go of Rory and the Doctor lets go of Amy.
"But you haven't yet." Amy says pessimistically.
"But we will, Melody will be fine." I promise her walking over and hugging her, she squeezes me before pulling away and smiling.
"Oh by the way, River told us about Ryan, now that must be weird." She says to me and I throw my head back laughing. "It's one thing having your daughter and then meeting her when she's grown up, but meeting your son before you even knew he existed? That's crazy." She laughs with me.
"Yeah, but a lot of stuff makes sense now." I reply.
"Hang on. What's this bit?" Rory's voice breaks apart our hug and we go over to him as he looks at the picture. We look to see the line through the word 'Doctor' which I had assumed was a design choice but at their confusion it obviously wasn't.
"That wasn't us." Amy confirms. The Doctor takes it from Rory and stumbles around with it, looking at it and we follow after and stop before the sound of an engine comes straight for us and he drops the paper to reveal a red Chevrolet Corvette driving towards us. We all scream and run away from it and I run into the Tardis for safety with the door open to listen and I hear it stop and I come out to see the car had skidded to a stop right in front of us. The others were on the floor and as the woman gets out of the car I let out a relieved laugh as I recognise the woman standing in front of the Doctor.
"You said he was funny. You never said he was hot." She says.
"Mels!" I shout from behind her as Amy and Rory come over and the Doctor scrambles to his feet and I step down from the Tardis and over to her.
"Em, how are you?" She asks casually as I stare at her gobsmacked.
"What are you doing here?" Amy asks, standing with Rory on the other side of the car to us.
"Following you. What do you think?" She asks gesturing to the car.
"Er, where did you get the car?" Rory asks, nervous for the answer. Police sirens begin to sound and Amy, Rory and I all give her the 'really?' look.
"It's mine, -ish." She tells us and I roll my eyes at her.
"Oh, Mels, not again." Amy sighs out.
"You can't keep doing this. You're going to end up in prison." Rory explains to her.
"Honestly they act more and more like my parents every day." Mels murmurs to me and I can't help but chuckle.
"They're trying to help you Mels." I reassure her.
"Sorry." The Doctor interrupts. "Hello." He greets Mels. "Doctor not following this. Doctor very lost." He then goes off subject and turns to me. "You never said I was hot?" He asks and I fake pout at him laughing at his offended look before pecking his lips and wrapping my arms around his waist.
"Not the point, love." I remind him.
"Is that the phone box?" Mels asks going off topic as well. "The bigger on the inside phone box? Oh, time travel. That's just brilliant. Yeah, I've heard a lot about you. I'm their best mate." Mels informs the Doctor.
"Then why don't I know you? I danced with everyone at the wedding. The women were all brilliant. The men were a bit shy." He adds and I shake my head at his words and remembering him dragging my dad into the dance floor to dance, it was very awkward but hilarious to watch.
"I don't do weddings." Mels says as the sirens sound again, getting closer. "And that's me out of time." Mels says suddenly holding up a gun to the Doctor.
"Mels!" Amy shouts at the same time as Rory curses to himself.
"What are you doing?" I ask, stepping in front of the Doctor who had his hands up.
"I need out of here, now." Mels states at a helicopter sound approaches.
"Anywhere in particular?" The Doctor asks nervously, trying to get me to move away but I don't.
"Well, let's see. You've got a time machine, I've got a gun. What the hell. Let's kill Hitler." She suggests and I raise my eyebrows at her request. "Oo! Kenz, I have a prezzie for you, considering I missed your birthday, you have to put it on straight away, I want to see if the colour suits you!" Mels announces handing me a small gift bag as we head into the Tardis. This is going to be an interesting day.