8: First Flight

Magsimula sa umpisa

There were a few off-duty low and mid-grade officers milling about, as well as a solitary Knight that Val recognized immediately. Aslin Malo huddled into the corner of the corner booth farthest from the serving area, nursing a glass of some pungent concoction native to his world. A crown of horns sprouted from his golden scalp and a smile developed as Korta moved toward him. Malo, as Val had learned a few days after his seclusion ended, was one of the better sparring partners he and Chiko had faced. He was also a former student of Korta.

"You'll keel over any second now old man, I can sense it." Malo said, closing his eyes and holding out a hand, taking on a mocking fortune-tellers warble. Korta moved past him, rolling his eyes, to the serving droid. "Well I'd better drink while I can then." The older man said, typing his order into the datapad. The droid bobbed affirmatively, then it's arms spun on its cylindrical torso and selected the necessary components. "Especially in such dreadful company." He said, turning toward Malo.

"You're getting grouchy in your old age." Malo said with a faux-injured slant. He looked toward Val, "Grouchy, yeah? That's a good description?" He asked Val. Val nodded, not expecting to be included, "You've got him." He replied.

Malo chuckled then gestures toward the other seats. "I hear you have a few hours to wait." Malo said, looking to Korta, a knowing smile spreading across his face. Korta shook his head, "No Malo, I'm too old and distinguished for the kind of day drinking you manage." Korta said, some professional disdain in his voice. The rules for Knights were slightly looser than their Navy counterparts, but their actions drew more scrutiny of a different kind.

"I manage pretty well, have a high tolerance but I'm not inviting you to drink old friend." He said, giving Val a dismissive nod. Val looked to Korta, whom nodded affirmatively, "Go review the historical lesson I've prepared, Kavos should be able to help." Val smiles at that, he'd already completed the task. "Yes Master." He said, giving Kavos a "let's get out of here" expression.

Malo must not have known about Val's gift. As he and Kavos left the mess headed toward the recreation sections below, Val listened closely for the fading voices of his Master and Malo. By the time he was unable to discern them from the background noise, Val had learned what he'd intended to discover. Zyllovan a world at the edge of the Empire was spiraling out of control and Malo wanted to know if the rumors he'd heard were true. "Is the Emperor considering an invasion?" Malo asked, some excitement at the prospect of conflict. Val didn't hear Korta's reply, the old man too cagey to allow him such an easy answer.

Kavos noticed Val's expression, "What is it?" He asked, concern apparent in his voice. Val wondered if sharing the information with him would get one or both of them in trouble. Something within told him that Kavos could be trusted. He looked at his friend seriously, "Have you ever been in a battle?" Val asked. Kavos was a year or two older than Val, if his career was on track.

"Not directly, no." Kavos answered frankly, "The Triumphant does not invite an attack." He added with a smile. Val shared his mirth, that was most certainly true for an Empire at peace, but if there was war the Triumphant would be at the forefront. "Well I think that may change if I heard what Malo said correctly." His implication overt without outright stating his observation. Kavos' reaction surprised Val, his smile seemed to widen, "Truly? Well brilliant then, a good war will certainly advance our respective standings." He said, seemingly imagining the victory parade.

Val suppressed an urge to correct him, knowing it would not convince him of the truth. "Yes, it most certainly will." Val said, his voice leaking with derision. Kavos gave him a curious look. Val shrugged, not knowing what to say at first. "Surely you agree it is the quickest way to advance." Kavos said, Val sensing his deepest desire. Kavos had great ambition and talent, but had yet to face the true cost that such would demand. He was not malevolent or selfish in his desire, simply pragmatic and Val could understand that longing, though he did not share his friend's zeal.