xxxv. a really racist high school

Start from the beginning

"It doesn't help Jake or the peace if you backchannel with Walker."

"I don't."

Alicia gave her a knowing look. "Lying's not useful, mom."

Madison raised her eyebrows as Alicia tugged Kamille's arm, signalling for her to follow as she walked off. Kamille shrugged her shoulders at Madison before following her girlfriend out of the tent and outside.

"What was that about?" she asked Alicia when they were out of earshot. "You didn't mention that earlier."

Alicia seemed mildly agitated. "It's nothing. I just feel like my mom is getting involved where she shouldn't."

"She said she isn't."

Alicia raised an eyebrow. "And you believe her?"

Kamille frowned. "Okay, maybe not, but surely she wouldn't ruin this. It's literally our last chance at peace."

"Fingers crossed," Alicia replied sarcastically.

That evening, after a day of awkward adjustment for majority of the camp, everyone was called into the tent after dinner for an informal meeting. Ranchers milled about uncomfortably, alongside Walker's people, and many sat down in their groups, talking amongst one another.

As Kamille passed a few to head to Madison and Alicia at the back, she overheard a few conversations and it was just as she'd thought. Not everybody was particularly happy with this new arrangement, Walker's people included.

"Everybody!" Jake called out, hinting at everyone to settle down.

Chatter minimised and eventually stopped as people looked to Jake curiously.

"Our path has been hard," he spoke confidently. "We have all suffered loss. But we can't dwell on that and move forward. We can't hold grudges and forgive. This place has always been about building a better future. And if we share our supplies and our skills, we can have that. In a generation, we can be whole. That's what this place should be."

Kamille glanced around subtly, seeing some nodding in agreement with Jake. He always had a way with words, but clearly not everybody was convinced as they stared at him with blank expressions.

"You are afraid," Walker spoke up, everybody looking to him next. "As afraid of us as we are of you. Fear creates fury. Fury let's blood. No more of that." He shook his head before nodding to Jake. "Jake is right. We must forgive." He stood up and in the centre as he continued. "My grudge died when Jeremiah made his sacrifice. We can be one now. We can fight against the hell outside. Give that our fear. Our fury."

Walker raised his mug in a toast, and Kamille saw most with a drink in their hand followed suit. She hated to admit it, but he was very good at the whole speech thing. Leaders always were. She just hoped it would make a difference.

After toasting, everybody got back to whatever they were talking about, a dull celebration as nobody was in high spirits. Kamille and Alicia talked quietly amongst themselves, about their hope for the ranch, when Jake approached them.

"You're looking a lot better," Kamille noticed when he stopped by. "How are you feeling?"

He looked around. "Better if this works out."