xxxv. a really racist high school

Start from the beginning

Kamille nodded, already feeling a lot better from Alicia's simple actions. "Yeah."

Alicia offered a small smile her way before letting go of her hand and heading to the others, who had now been joined by Nick and Troy also. Kamille was glad not to be there, and instead headed the opposite way to them.

She helped prep breakfast with a few others, laying everything out for the ranchers and Walker's people to tuck into. Things were visually awkward to witness, Kamille noticed, with most ranchers going out of their way to avoid Walker's people. Despite sharing an eating space, everybody stuck to their own groups. Kind of like a really racist high school.

It was when they were settling in when Alicia found Kamille pouring herself a cup of coffee.

"Hey," she greeted, resting a hand on her back as she stepped beside her.

Kamille pulled a face from the bitter taste of coffee before looking to Alicia. "Hey, how did things go?"

Alicia shrugged halfheartedly. "As one would expect. Walker has a key to the armoury. Jake has the other. It seems they're in agreement. Let's hope it stays that way."

"Let's hope... anyway, I'll make you a plate, come on," Kamille said, nudging her gently. "You want coffee?"

"Sure."

Kamille gave her own cup, commenting, "It's disgusting. You'll love it."

Despite the circumstances they were in, Alicia cracked an amused smile as she accepted the cup. For a split second, her green eyes lit up and Kamille almost forgot what happiness looked like on the younger girl. There had been so much going on, they'd barely had a moment to breathe.

"Thanks," Alicia thanked her as they walked around, Kamille making a plate for her. "You not eating?"

"Already ate," Kamille answered, adding a piece of toast to her plate, the last of the limited food options they had, before facing her and holding out the plate. "The campers have expanded now. Unfortunately that means nowhere to sit."

Alicia shrugged, accepting the plate and tucking in there and then. "Thanks, Kam."

Kamille smiled at her, glad she could at least make sure she was okay. The two were chatting as Alicia finished her breakfast when Madison stopped by, wearing that familiar cautious expression on her face.

"How's he doing?" Madison asked, referring to Jake who wasn't far ahead of them, talking to some ranchers.

Alicia nodded. "Better."

Madison gave her a knowing look. "Lying's not useful, Alicia."

"He got over the poisoning," Alicia said straightforwardly. "He recovered from that." Madison continued to stare at her, waiting for more, so she added, "Look, you can get sick treating people with anthrax. He'll recover."

Madison nodded. "Well, take care of him."

"You do the same," Alicia said, almost as a warning.

"What does that mean?" Madison asked, eyebrows furrowed.

Kamille looked to Alicia curiously, the brunette glancing around before deciding to speak quietly as she looked to her mother.