Chapter 19: Wanderer

I got the rest of the stuff that I needed to take and I put it all inside of my bag. Christian had told me that we would be out there for at least a week, out there we would be learning how to work as a warrior, a scavenger, a gatherer, and a wanderer.
He said after that we would go out there for a couple of days just too make sure that I was ready, and then my training would be over. I wasn't sure I was ready, I had learned a lot, but I didn't know everything that I probably needed to.
I guess that was the reason that I was going to be out there for over a week. That way I could finish the rest of my training. I was kind of scared just thinking about being out there alone.
I finished with everything in my bag and filled up my bottles and drank some water to rehydrate me before I left my kitchen and then headed towards the doorway.
Christian was on the porch just sitting there like he usually did on the swing set everytime he was waiting for me. I closed the door and then we continued walking. This time we turned in the direction of Lilly's place.
I hoped we were just going to the gates that were in between us, I had known that Lilly had always had a huge crush of Christian for some reason, even though she was at least 20 years older than him. I didn't know his exact age, but he couldn't be any older than 40.
Sometimes he looked 30 when his beard was shaved, right now it was not, and you could see the greyish white hair growing into his black beard.
"So we are going to the exact opposite side, just so you know to turn through the fields when we get past the middle section." Christian said to me. I didn't question why, I knew that if we were going to be a wanderer out there we would need to go near the section that was least explored, that way it wouldn't take as long.
Half of that section was less than 30 miles explored. I had known when my mother was leader and when we went into Shannon's place. It had just brought it up to me. It was cool and all that Lilly liked Christian so much, but I also knew that Christian wouldn't want her slowing us down, and this time of day she was in the garden or just on her porch.
Once her got near the part we needed to turn, Christian continued talking and telling me what we would be learning out there.
"So you're pretty good with a gun, but not with a sword, knife, or axe... We are going to work on that today." He told me. I nodded to him while he was still looking. We then started walking down through the path that separated the different sections of the farm fields.
"This will be good, Guns are still kind of loud even with a silencer, so this will help me out a lot, especially since Im kind of bad at killing with a knife..." I said to him. He smiled and we continued walking, I was very bad with it, Shannon said stay off that ammo because we were trying to save up all of our ammo.
Over the last couple of days I had almost forgot that we still were having a chance to get attacked. It had seemed like the chances of that had gone out the window, it had been weeks... No one really talked about it anymore, and things had mostly gone back together.
I closed my eyes and stopped thinking about it, Jordan and his father had basically given up on finding his mother, it was kind of sad, but that was the world we lived in now though. We continued walking, we had already gone through the middle which was were the main market, and the animals stayed at.
I missed going to see all the chickens, they were all kind of sweet, except for the roosters, but they were put in a different coop. They killed the chickens once they were a little bit older, so the chickens actually got to live some sort of life.
I had heard from the farmers that actually cared about their job, that before chickens were bigger, and they lived short lives. But now things were different for animals, honestly I had heard we were repopulating them too fast which was another reason Shannon was going to add in more to the walls really soon.
Some people thought it should be a little bit further but it was going to expand in all the directions and the area would expand greatly. We also did not have that many supplies, the actual area would get about 100% bigger when it all came down to it.
Right now it was about a square 5 miles in each direction, after it all went down it would be about 7 miles in each direction. But people didn't really think about math anymore... It was one of my strong subjects back when I was in school.
Or what was sort of called school. I cleared those thoughts from my mind as we got towards the gate. We hadn't gone through to this section. It had taken nearly 2 hours to get here when it was all said and done, we had not really talked all that much.
The people on the gates nodded to Christian, Christian said he didn't really go to this section very often so he didn't really know anyone. He said not many people went through hnere so this was were the lazy wall guards liked to work.
Some areas we had explored nearly 100miles... We were nowhere near exploring the entire continent. People always thought that we were the last people that were left alive on this planet. But for some reason I didn't think that this was true.
I was ready... This was going to be a tough couple of days, or weeks as Christian had said.
We went through the gates and Christian looked at me and smiled.
"You ready to become a wanderer?