Connie Visits, and Y/n Gets Bubbled

You were currently at Steven's house, deciding what to do today. The two of you were going to hang out with Amethyst, mostly likely at Funland, but she canceled the plan. Something to do with Little Homeschool, she said. Steven and yourself sat on the couch, trying to come up with an idea, after all, neither of you wanted you to go home already.

Steven's phone suddenly buzzed on the coffee table. He picked it up to read the message he received, lighting up when he saw it.

" Oh Y/n, this is great! One of my best friends, Connie, is visiting for a bit. She's really nice; I can't wait for you to meet her." He said standing up in excitement.

You paused. Why does that name sound familiar? You know you've heard it before.
"Connie.. Connie who?" You asked, curious.

" Connie Maheswaran," Steven answered. Ah! That's it. You remember her name from all the academic rewards she got at the end of school. You've seen Connie a few times, but never talked to her. You doubt she even noticed you anyway. Steven continued,

" She's super cool and smart. Pearl even taught her how to sword fight!"

You nodded, feeling a slight pang in your chest. 'This girl sounds way cooler than me, what is she gonna think when she finds out Steven hangs out with someone like me?'  you thought. You felt a tad intimidated.

💫

When Connie arrived, Steven greeted her at the door with a big hug.

"It's so nice to see you again!" He say joyfully.

"You too, Steven! I can only stay for a couple hours though.  I'm leaving for a college trip; I wanted to talk to y- oh." Connie paused, noticing you on the couch. You awkwardly waved. Connie looked back to Steven with a smirk, " you've replaced me already?!" Ouch. That hurt.

Steven's brows furrowed before he followed her gaze to you. He laughed nervously, " oh no, of course not Connie! This is my friend Y/n." He said as they seated themselves on the couch with you.

"It's.. um.. nice to meet you, Connie." You murmured. She nodded at you with a smile. 

"So! I was thinking about watching those new episodes of our favorite show before I leave?" She suggested, nudging Steven in the arm. He seemed to agree.

You three were in Steven's room, he and Connie sitting on the floor, their backs leaning on the bed in front of the TV. You were laying on the bed above them. You felt like you shouldn't be here. This show they're watching, you had no idea what it was about or what was happening! So you were quite bored, but they enjoyed watching it. You silently wished they could've been more considerate of you; you felt ignored, especially by Steven. You tried to brush it off by thinking they haven't seen each other in a while, and Connie was leaving for the college trip, but you couldn't help but notice how clingy Steven was to her.  They were sitting so close, sometimes their heads leaning on the other's shoulders.

Did... Did Steven like her? Oh, you hated the thought of it, but you wouldn't blame him. Connie seemed to be so smart and cool. You felt that she had everything you didn't. You remembered the sleepover you had with Steven a while ago, and just recently the words and healing kisses he shared while you were baking. You thought... Ugh! Was that nothing to him? Maybe he was just overly nice and your dumb heart made you feel special.

While you thought about all the things Steven said to you, thinking of the different meanings of it, the TV show ended. There was an awkward silence after Connie and Steven made a few comments about the last episode. You could tell Connie wanted you to leave. So you did.

" I'm going to the bathroom, you guys." You said, getting up and heading down the stairs. You heard Steven's faint "ok!" on your way down. You sat on the edge on the bathtub, letting them talk to each other without your awkward self. You figured you'd come out eventually, but it wouldn't be for a good while. Playing on your phone as the time passed, you grew more and more bitter about the whole situation.

About 30 minutes went by as you sulked in the bathroom. You don't think Steven even noticed you were gone for so long. Feeling betrayed and down in the dumps, you got up to leave the bathroom. You had enough and were going home. Steven was supposed to drive you home, but right now you were content to walk there yourself.

As you exited the bathroom, Steven and Connie were walking down the stairs. Immediately you could read the boy's behavior. His face looked tired and his shoulders were slumping, very different than how he usually presented himself.  You watched in silence as Connie gave him a hug at the front door.

" I'll see you again in about two weeks alright?" She said smiling softly. She glanced past him to you. " It was nice meeting you Y/n! " Connie said with a genuine smile and ran out the house.

Steven turned to you, now realizing you were behind him. He sighed, sitting on the sofa.

" Why were you gone for so long?" He  asked, soberly. You hesitated, taking a few steps from the bathroom door.

" I just figured I'd let you guys talk alone.. and catch up, I guess." You stuck to the plan you created in the bathroom. " I'm actually gonna go home now I think, I'm kinda tired. " You admitted and slowly made your way to the door.

"What? No stay, what's the matter Y/n?" Steven immediately got up, almost in a panic, and followed you. He refused to have another person leave him, especially on a bad note.

" It's.. nothing, Steven. " You said not looking back, your hand almost reaching the door handle when a pale pink bubble surrounded you. Steven had trapped you both in the magic covering.

"Tell me what's wrong." He said sternly. You  didn't say anything. " Y/n. Please, look at me." You gasped when you heard his voice become fragile, cracking a bit. You faced him, with a small pout. He relaxed a bit before questioning your motives.

"Why do you want to leave? Why were you in the bathroom for so long, do you not like Connie or something?" You looked down, kind of embarrassed, turning a light shade of red. he watched your expression carefully. He though about your behavior from earlier, picking up little hints and came to a conclusion.

"Are... Are you jealous?" He inquired, a little baffled. You glanced up at him offended, but knowing it was true.

"No!" You looked down again. "Im just worried.. am.. am I really just a replacement for Connie?" Steven gasped quickly,

"No no of course not! That was just a joke!  Connie isn't very sensitive sometimes, she didn't mean it, I promise." He reassured you, stepping closer as the bubble vanished. " I'm sorry. I didnt know that upset you, and Im sorry I didnt pay much attention to you when she was here." He looked away.

" You see, Connie isn't just going on a college trip for a bit. She's actually going to college very soon. I'm.. I'm not gonna see her for a long time," he sniffed, " she's been my friend since I was little, I'm going to miss her. So I tried to be with her as much as I could before that happens." He pulled himself together. This wasn't about him, he thought. Steven took your hand in his and your eyes finally met his again.

"Please don't leave yet. Let's just make up the lost time and go out to eat or something, okay?" He pleaded.

"Ok."

You went to fish stew pizza, Amethyst also joined you both there when she finished her duties at Little Homeschool. You felt better about yourself now, but the more you recalled what Steven said to you earlier... You became concerned. He sounded like he was on the verge of tears. Lots of people go to college eventually, why  did Steven seem to be so choked up about it?

What was he not telling you?

Oo cliffhanger! Anyway, thank you all so much for the views, votes, and comments (especially in chapter 5; you guys crack me up 🤣). I can't believe you guys got this book to #1 in stevenuniverse! Ahh! I'm freaking out, lol. Stay tuned!