Ih - pif - uh - nee

Cupid is on cloud nine, staring up into the painted sky, the soft coldness of a cloud caressing his large, folded wings. As the sun slowly begins to sink, the god of love rolls onto his stomach, dragging his finger through a passing cloud.

Another day, another match made in heaven. Satisfaction warms Cupid's heart as he thinks of the young couple he recently paired up - a rich girl from a very influential family and a poor young man struggling to put himself through college. Pairings like that have always been Cupid's favorite. Unlikely love always blooms faster, roots deeper into the lives of those he strikes with his arrows.

As the sun falls completely beneath the Earth and the moon rises to shine, Cupid sits up, reaching into the sky to pluck a falling star from above. The star shines brightly in his cupped hands, glowing before Cupid cracks it open like an Easter egg to reveal his latest assignment.

While the god is ultimately in control of his matches, every so often, Aphrodite will send tell him of someone special, someone who will require a bit more than a few well-timed coincidental meetings and an arrow to the chest. His mother's always been a bit of a know it all and a meddler, so it's not terribly unusual for her to push her own agenda through her son.

Cupid sighs. It's nearing Valentine's Day, so hopefully, he'll have a bit more luck with this assignment than he did with the last one. Last time it took Cupid a fortnight to get the seed of love planted deep enough between a cynical old man and the lady he'd worked with for over two decades. But still, Cupid's never been unable to make a spark between two people, not even when he was younger and would shoot arrows at random people just for fun.

Of course, he's matured significantly since then. He doesn't play such games anymore.

Reading the note he pulls from the star, Cupid reads the name.

YN LN

There's nothing particularly remarkable about the name. He's heard it before, used by other people throughout the years. The photograph he's been given also does not stir anything in him. He wonders briefly what his mother is planning, sending him this assignment without any context. Usually, she'll at least send some background information on the person and who she wants them to end up with, but there's nothing else in the star but her name and photo.

Cupid seals the star back, tossing it as far into the sky as he can, letting it return to orbit. He places the photograph into the folds of his angelic garment, standing up and stepping off of the cloud, plummeting towards the Earth's surface.

He might as well get started now.

Cupid lands gently on a large hill overlooking a sleepy college town, bare feet touching the soft grass. He disappears into the night as he descends upon the town, slipping between dimensions as only gods can do.

It practically takes him no time at all to locate her, YN studying diligently at a library that looks as old as Cupid himself is. Quietly, he lets his presence rest beside her, eyes going over her form, trying to figure out what's so special about her that she caught his mother's attention. She's pretty enough for a human but her face isn't anything you'd double take on. She almost seems . . . plain.

Cupid can't help but be a little disappointed. He'd hoped this assignment would be interesting, but it seems like it'll end up being a bore after all. He's half tempted to just shoot her and be done with it, but he has a feeling his mother won't be pleased with him if he does that.

Deciding to give this assignment his all (if for no other reason than not having to put up with one of his mom's hissy fits) Cupid spends the next few days trailing YN, figuring out her habits, likes, and dislikes. He even sets up a few matches - the guy in her class, one of her pretty friends, a worker in the local grocery store - but to no avail.