S2 E29: Happy New Years

"B-But you said you hated me." Adrien sniffled. "You said you didn't love me anymore. And that I-I mean nothing to you."

Marinette shook her head, beginning to drift slightly. "I promised you... I would love you forever... And I don't intend... on breaking that p-promise... Adrien, I will love you until the day I... die..."

Marinette fought to stay awake but she slipped under regardless of her efforts. The next time she'd regained consciousness, she heard the noises of hospital machinery, many voices she did not recognize, and the sound of her own slow heartbeat. It was terribly difficult to breathe as the simple action seemed grueling. However, she could manage.

Where is everyone? What happened? Am I in the hospital? Gabriel! Is he still hurt? Where is Adrien? Does everyone know my identity? Mom? Papa? Tikki? I'm scared...

"Her brain has seemingly been having these unpredictable flashes of activity, where we believe she is aware of her surroundings."

Marinette next heard the familiar voice of her favorite blond. It calmed her to hear him, but he sounded so sad. "So... she can hear us?"

"Most likely."

"Is it active now?"

Was that Chloé?

"Yes, you can watch that screen," Dr. Williams said. "The more the waves move, the more her brain is active. When it goes flat, she's completely unconscious."

Marinette felt Adrien's distinct warmth on her cheek. "Hey, chouchou. I miss you lots."

I'm right here, chéri.

"Well, in that case..." Marinette heard Chloé stomped over to her bedside with a striking determination in her sky blue eyes. "Okay, Dupain-Cheng, it's time to wake the hell up! I know you hear me! People need you! Adrien, you're friends, your parents... me." Chloé's voice softened. "As Ladybug, you saved me and taught me what it meant to be a hero. But as Marinette, you taught me the value of friendship. I had no idea how much Adrien meant to me until you drove him away from me. And I don't mean that in a bad way. Adrien needed a type of love you made me realize I can't give him after all. You made me want to be a better Chloé. So stop being utterly ridiculous and wake up already!"

Marinette wanted to respond, but couldn't. She wouldn't even know what to say. She had no idea how important she was to one of her enemies. However, she was glad to have evoked a positive change within Chloé.

"Please?"

Marinette heard Chloé drop to Adrien's side and burst into tears.

Don't cry, Chloé. It's going to be okay.

Adrien comforted her. "I'm sure she'll appreciate that when she wakes up."

I really do.

Chloé nodded, settling down and laying on Adrien's chest. "Think she'd forgive me for being so mean over the years?"

Of course I forgive you, Chloé. You've grown tremendously. You've stopped trying to control Adrien, and you are taking care of him while I can't. You've made peace with me. Your voice sounds kinder. You are what makes being Ladybug so amazing. I'm glad I've finally gotten through to you.

Adrien began speaking, but his voice dulled out as she involuntarily fell asleep.

***

"Hi, Mari," Tikki started. "The doctor said you might be able to hear us, or you're dreaming. Either way, you're brain activity is what is keeping them from taking you off life support. Um... Oh, and your parents just came and brought us food!" Tikki giggled. Marinette could almost see her holding her toes as she babbled on. "I'm slightly upset I've been around for fourteen billion years and had never once tried a egg and cheese croissant sandwich."