The building I lived in stood twenty-three stories tall, my place on the nineteenth, and I was able to easily look beyond the surrounding apartment complexes, out into the sunset at the distant skyline. It seemed to be warm, kind of, but the clothing of the pedestrians implied otherwise. I wasn't quite sure whether I actually wanted to head outside or not, but I figured I needed to; my stomach craved ramen.

I went to grab the keys that lied on the dresser beside the front door and threw on a random brown coat, not bothering to change into different clothes — the white shirt and black drawstring pants I'd worn to bed would surely suffice. I slipped into leather slippers just lying around and walked out of my apartment, waiting with my back facing the door, until I heard it fall shut behind me.

Within the next hour, I found myself seated in a Japanese restaurant. The place was only a stroll away from where I lived, but I'd been dawdling as I'd walked the streets. I'd thought I'd been kind of anticipating the food, but strangely enough, after I'd eaten, I only found myself at the bottom of the bowl, dull eyes staring back at me. I left as soon as I paid, headed back home.

Somewhere along the way, though, I stopped, hesitant. I was standing in front of a pub, staring at the label that hung above the entrance and flickered in bright neon lights. A young man brushed my shoulder as he entered, and to this, not thinking about it too much, I decided to follow.

Soon enough, I claimed a seat at the bar and ordered a beer. Just as I finished it, I signaled to the bartender for a tequila shot. As the minutes passed, I eventually ended up tossing back my third shot of the night. I didn't exactly know what time it was, and maybe it was a little too early for strong alcohol, but the sun had set long time ago, so I didn't really care.

"I didn't expect us to meet again this way." A female voice sounded from somewhere off to my left, suddenly. She slid into the barstool beside me, and I glanced her way, turning my head only slightly.

"Han Nari?" I was surprised to see her here, so sudden and unexpected.

"Hey. It's been a while." She seemed to smile, but in the darkness I was only just able to see that her eyes held the same sadness I'd seen in my own reflection not too long ago. As I thought about this momentarily, I was reminded again: Nari's sister had died.

After a beat, slightly hesitant, I replied, "About a year."

"Exactly one year," she said, specifying — I understood what this meant, and I was certain she knew I did.

Her gaze shifted away. "So, you've had two shots already?" She looked at me again, and I nodded to confirm. "Want to have another one together?"

I smiled, but I wasn't sure if she noticed. "Sure."

I had my next shot with her, downing it while she did hers. It was my last one for the night, and I watched her have another three. At some point, I caught myself looking at her for a little longer than I probably should have, my chin resting on the palm of my hand. Surprisingly, though, she held my gaze as she turned to face me. We looked at each other for a long time.

No words needed to be said for us to understand; her and I, we felt lonely.

She tilted her head, tenderly, and for a second I thought she was going to kiss me. Something within her expression suddenly changed, though, and she moved in her seat instead. I lifted my head a little as my eyes traced her movements.

My lips parted in an attempt to say something, but before I could think of any words, she spoke: "Should we go over to my place? The loud music is starting to get to me."

This was just an excuse, I knew, but I didn't let on, instead smiling faintly. "Okay."

We left the pub then, and she led the way down the streets. The night was just as dark as the bar inside, save for the bright streets lamps that illuminated her face every now and then as we went. With this, I was able to look at her. Like, really look at her.