"Why?" The one word escaped his mouth in a whisper but clearly loud enough for him to hear.

"Do you think I wished to marry you? I had no choice, I was in love with my childhood sweetheart but when I was chosen to be your bride he was sent away. Sent off to guard the walls and he never returned. They could not even find a body for me to grieve. Not that they would have let me grieve, to begin with. It is your fault."

Fafnir knew she was being unreasonable. He did not choose her, his parents did. "I was not in charge of who my parents chose, I would never have done that to someone!" His eyes pleaded for her to understand but the light in her eyes was dim and uncaring.

"Even if that is so, what is done cannot be undone. Your brother will one day rule and you will stay in this cave for eternity." With those words she turned and left the way she came.

*end of flashback*

"She came many times those first few years to give me updates of how my Kingdom was failing. Each time to rub it in that there was nothing I could do. She would tell me how the curse could not be broken. The last time she came she told me my youngest brother had staged a coup and overthrown our parents. My other brothers had been out on missions over the years and had each met mysterious accidents along the way." Fafnir hung his head once again reliving the memories. He felt a pain in his heart each time he thought of his family perishing and him being too blinded by following customs to see what was happening around him until it was too late.

Morgianna had listened to his story and felt a twinge in her heart. She did not know them and was sure they passed many years ago, but that did not lessen his pain that she could see etched in his lizard-like face.

She moved forward slowly until she could almost reach her fingertips out to touch his scales. She looked up locking her eyes on his. "I will be honest and say that I do not know what to do, but I will do everything that I can think of to get you free."

Fafnir took a sharp breath, the girl in front of him seemed much older than her age. Her eyes held a maturity and deep-set determination that he would not think her capable of if he had not seen it himself.

Not sure words would convey his feelings he simply nodded and kept his eyes locked on her.

She looked from his mouth to his ankle and back again a couple of times before finally asking, "May I touch the chain?"

Once again all Fafnir could do was nod. He knew she was scared he would gobble her up but he made an oath to at least let her try.

Morgianna moved forward once again until she was almost eye level with the chain. Standing beside his massive body she could feel the heat rolling off of his scales. She could sense darkness surrounding the chain and thought that maybe she could use her light.

Gathering her light in her palm she reached out to touch the chain but was shocked when it blew her backward.

Her head slammed into the wall and made her feel disoriented. Her whole body felt as if it had been pushed through a shredder.

Her vision was blurry as she tried to sit up on her knees. The ringing in her ears getting louder. Just as she thought she would go insane the ringing stopped and she looked up to see the lizard staring at her with a strange expression.

"You have light and darkness. Pull the darkness of the curse into you and neutralize it with your light. It cannot be touched directly with the light outside of your body."