Chapter 42

AN: it's official. You lot are officially the scariest, most amazing people in existence. 3k? 3K??? *excuse me while my brain spontaneously combusts*

Also I'm using the combustion of my brain as an excuse for not posting for so long :)) this chapter is some Clint and Nat stuff (sort of a "filler"?) but I'm not too happy with this one to be honest

The rest of the Avengers emerged from their quarters to see the prince off. Natasha grinned slightly at the sight of Thor in his Asgardian armour and vermillion cape once more. It was easy to forget what he actually was when you lived with the guy. Shouting at the guy for finishing the Twinkies. Berating him for breaking the microwave (again). Forcing him onto the newly adapted armchair after he broke two of Tony's "world-class" leather made ones. Oddly enough, she found she would miss him. More so now compared to his last departure.

"Lady Natasha." Said spy looked up, momentarily intimidated by Thor's height and booming voice. "I trust you will care for my brother."

"Of course," she answered politely, with a tight-lipped nod. Loki hadn't come to see Thor off. According to JARVIS, he'd locked himself in his room with the recently named Naeva. Though they'd all tried to ignore it, the absence of the god was heavily felt.

Thor looked slightly abashed as he continued. "I know... I know I do not care for him as I should; often I am too...ignorant to think of him. But I will always worry for him. He is my brother. Perhaps not by blood but by bond. He comes first and foremost, regardless of what my actions may seem."

"I care for him too, Thor." She held her hand out to him. "I promise. I'll look after him. Whatever it takes."

Thor grasped her forearm tightly, cerulean eyes suffused with gratitude. "Thank you."

The build up to Thor's departure was swift. The thunderous deity hugged and gave well wishes to the rest of the Avengers, the Cheshire Cat grin back on his face. Tony and Steve lugged in what was clearly an Avengers suitcase full of PopTarts (much to Clint's displeasure), and the promise of a cupboard full more when he returned.

It was only a few minutes later when Thor shouted to the sky, and was engulfed in a blinding light.

***

Tony had discovered shortly after Thor's departure just how artistically Loki had reprogrammed Dummy, after the robot had burst into his bedroom spraying silly string at him. But he'd been warned by Natasha to leave him be, lest he wanted to have all his limbs broken.

To be honest, she didn't really know what to do. How to reach Loki, comfort him. Her skill set was wide, but the title therapist didn't appear in her CV. The Red Room had taught her the reverberations of allowing haywire hormones to mix with a mission. She'd watched her 12 year old classmate die before her from fear. Because of fear.

But how to handle this? True, a life wasn't at stake here, but a fair equivalent was. She couldn't trace circles on his hands forever, hug him forever as though that would ward off any pesky spirit of a problem— she needed to talk. Act.

Natasha ran her hair in frustration, glaring at the destroyed meal before her.

"Jesus, what did that casserole do to you?" Natasha offered a small smile at the approaching archer, smirking at her and the inanimate victim of her fury.