7 | An Intervention

When the Avengers caught sight of Loki dragging himself into the room, none of them could hide their shock. Bruce and Tony showed the most amount of emotion; concern, guilt and worry heavy in their eyes. Even Clint looked perturbed, watching the god carefully, as though too intense of a gaze would break the man. Steve watched his movements attentively, tense and ready to get up should he suddenly collapse. The possibility looked unpleasantly high. Natasha showed the least amount of emotion, as always, but she couldn't maintain her normally blank face even then. Here was the god, who could twist words into daggers and stab them where they would hurt the most. And he currently looked like speaking would cost too much energy.

Tony rose from his armchair, offering it to Loki, who gratefully sagged into it. His legs felt far too weak and wobbly. He decided to sit cross-legged instead. Despite his generally high tolerance to the cold—something he owed to his true heritage— he couldn't help but shiver slightly; this room was much colder than his.

"So," Steve started awkwardly. "We wanted to talk about some things."

Loki didn't respond, he merely looked at the floor. He could feel his focus fading slightly, black spots speckling his vision. But he couldn't let them see his weakness. He forced himself to look up, a movement that made the room swim around slightly.

"So we've noticed that you haven't really had much interaction with people whilst you've been here." The Captain's voice sounded as though he was underwater, but still Loki forced himself to listen as much as he could. Natasha however noticed him fading off slightly. She saw the slightly glazed look in his eyes, and how much effort it took for him to keep his head up. She whispered something to Tony, who nodded and headed out of the room. She drew herself back to the conversation.

"—and you don't seem to be coping with the work."

"I've been doing everything you have commanded me to do. Is that not enough?" His voice sounded awful. And by the way Loki cringed slightly at the sound of it, Natasha figured he knew it too.

"No it's not that, it's just—"

"It's just that you seem more exhausted than usual. You're getting really tired during and after it. We're just concerned." Steve sent Bruce a thankful smile for the save.

"I assure you I am well."

Tony returned just then, offering a glass of lukewarm water to Loki. He took it skeptically and peered at it.

"It's just water, Loki." Natasha said.

"Have you added anything?" Tony shook his head in answer. Loki cautiously sipped the drink, which soon grew into desperate gulping. Water spilt onto his clothes, but it seemed the god had no care for how he looked in that moment.

"You want more?" A timid nod followed.

"So, Loki," Bruce continued,"we've noticed you look a bit unwell. Steve said you almost fainted in a corridor one day?"

"I didn't almost faint. I was just confused for a moment. This tower has a rather complex infrastructure, considering its size." Natasha could see the lie in his eyes. And when the god of lies gets bad at lying, that's something to be worried about.

"If you don't mind, I'd like to return to my quarters. If that'll be all?" Loki hoped they couldn't hear the slight tremble in his voice.

"Yes, of course. Go ahead, Loki." The group watched him shuffle out of the room before turning to Natasha.

"What do you think?"

"Why me?"

"Because you analyse everyone during conversations. Even me." Clint joked. But there was some truth to that.